Brave defending but bad defeats for MK’s ladies

editorial image

IT turned out to be a very disappointing weekend for Milton Keynes Hockey Club’s ladies, with all four teams suffering defeats.

The ladies were on the end of a 4-1 loss to Hampstead and Westminster, the 2nds went down to Gerrards Cross by the same score, the 3rds fell 3-0 to Oxford and the 4ths crashed 12-0 to Hitchin Blue Harts.

Following a week’s break from league hockey, the ladies’ 1sts hoped to return to winning ways against Hampstead and Westminster 2nds, but found themselves a goal down after only four minutes of play.

However, they responded well to going behind – captain Sophie Reynolds firing home a penalty corner three minutes later to level the scores.

Player of the match Lou Reynolds was working tirelessly to put the away defence under pressure, giving them little time on the ball and creating numerous attacking chances.

But the game took a twist when some loose defending gave Hampstead a route through to score their second goal of the game, and worse was to follow for MK as they nicked a third just before half time.

And unfortunately MK couldn’t improve in the second half as the defence of Sarah Lowry, Helen Cooke and Jess Barnes were forced to work hard and goalkeeper Laura Pellington-Woodrow had to pull off some top saves to keep the visitors out.

They couldn’t hold out for the duration though as Hampstead nicked another goal late on to complete a resounding victory.

The ladies’ 2nds didn’t fair much better, but began the game fairly well as they kept Gerrards Cross 1sts at bay until mid-way through the first half when a shot took a wicked deflection to find the back of the net.

The second half began well for MK with Livvy Curle firing home the equaliser, but despite successfully defending numerous penalty corners, Gerrards Cross were able to score three more goals from open play to take the win.

The ladies’ 3rds were three goals down to Oxford 4ths by half time, although Alice Bailey was very unlucky not to get on the scoresheet for MK as her shot came back off the post.

Playing without a recognised goalkeeper cost the ladies’ 4ths, although Vanessa Cox managed to produce some fantastic stops to prevent Hitchin from scoring more than the 12 goals they eventually did.

Milton Keynes men’s 1sts enjoyed a 2-1 win over West Hamstead, while the 2nds were held to a 0-0 draw by Maindenhead 2nds.

Matt Darvel came close to scoring for MK, while at the other end James Cox had to be at his best to keep a clean sheet as neither side could find a breakthrough.

The men’s 3rds enjoyed a 3-0 thrashing of Eastcote 4ths, but all their goals came in the second half after a few bad misses early on.

The MK onslaught eventually paid off as captain Will Luther netted from close range and Johnny Wyatt completed a routine win with a brace.

The men’s samurai team went down 5-3 against Ramgarria 2nds and the 5ths drew 1-1 with Leighton Buzzard Fledglings.