Hockey: Double delight for MK as men and ladies both win

editorial image

MILTON Keynes’ ladies enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 win over Sonning, while the club’s men fought back from behind three times to eventually beat Sevenoaks 5-3.

Having picked up their first three league points the previous weekend, the ladies were eager to continue their winning form at home to Sonning and took the lead inside five minutes – a quick free hit and pass into the D by Max McMenamin finding Sophie Reynolds who fired past the visiting keeper with a reverse stick strike.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic through as MK goalkeeper Laura Pellington-Woodrow put in a player of the match performance to keep her side in front.

MK seemed to find themselves trapped in their own half at times, but they still managed to double their lead midway through the first half, with Gemma Meredith crossing the ball back to Sophie Reynolds at the top of the D where she found the back of the net for a second time.

Steph Bates, Jess Barnes and Sarah Lowry worked tirelessly in defence to keep Sonning out, marking tightly and producing some well-timed tackles when called upon to keep MK two goals to the good at the break.

Some fine link-up play through midfield from Chrissy Little, Olivia Curle and Lindsay Kettleborough saw the hosts go close to increasing their lead at the start of the second half, and they didn’t have to wait long for a third goal – Lou Reynolds the provider for sister Sophie to complete her hat-trick.

Pellington-Woodrow still had to be on her toes to deny Sonning a consolation goal, but MK saw the game out to climb to third place in the table.

Milton Keynes’ men enjoyed a 5-3 victory against Sevenoaks, but had to come from behind no less than three times to take the points – the Kent side opening the scoring from a well taken penalty corner.

A deflected Brett Holland strike drew MK level for the first time, but despite them having the majority of possession, it was Sevenoaks who scored the next goal to go back in front – keeper Nick Gage unlucky to concede after a good save from the initial shot.

MK were back on level terms again when Stephan Ruse did the hard work, rounding the onrushing keeper and setting up Holland to fire home for 2-2.

But just as MK thought their luck was turning, Sevenoaks were gifted a penalty stroke which they converted to take the lead again.

Richard Townsend drew MK level for a third time when he reacted quickest to a loose ball after Ben Woodford’s near miss from Nick Anderson’s penalty corner.

A Jamie Dodd strike then put MK in front for the first time in the game, and they went on to make the win safe from another penalty corner – player of the match Dodd’s deflected effort finding its way through the crowd and into the back of the net to make it 5-3.

Elsewhere the men’s 2nds beat OMT 4-1, with goals from Jack Luther, Matt Darvel, Dave Breuilly and an own goal seeing MK fight back from a goal down at the break. The men’s 4ths saw off Gerrards Cross 3-0, the ladies’ 3rds beat Witney 2-1, and the ladies’ 2nds lost 3-1 to Newbury & Thatcham.