Legg powers to big comeback victory

Matt Legg celebrates his win. Pictures: Liam Smith.
Matt Legg celebrates his win. Pictures: Liam Smith.

Heavyweight fighter Matt Legg put a smile on the faces of his home town fans with an exciting win in his comeback fight on Sunday afternoon.

Hundreds of boxing fans squeezed into WonderWorld nightclub in Xscape to see the all-action heavyweight make a winning return after more than four and a half years out of the ring.

Legg was a points winner against knockout king Radek Linka of the Czech Republic in the top of the bill fight.

Linka had emphatically won his previous four fights by knockout, but Legg won every session of their four-rounder and handed the Czech power puncher a count in the last.

Promoter Mervyn Turner says he plans another show in the city in the coming months and it could feature another heavyweight hero.

Matt Skelton, the former British, Commonwealth and European champion, was in the crowd on Sunday and ‘The Bedford Bear’ says he wants to box on the next show.

Skelton was in the crowd with Tyson Fury – currently in training for his big fight against David Haye – as was actor Dave Legeno.

All were impressed with Legg’s performance, but the 37-year-old insists there is plenty more to come.

He said: “I will look better in the next fight. It took me a round to find my range after so long out of the ring and I will look more polished next time. I should definitely improve on that.

“I’ve had positive feedback from all the boxers that were there. They all said I looked sharp and Tyson Fury said I was robbed of a knockout win in the last round.”

Legg claimed the opening three rounds clearly enough, then buckled Linka’s legs with a rapid fire left-right-left hit combination in the last, and with only the ropes holding him up, referee Bob Williams issued an ‘eight’ count.

The Czech spat out his gum shield to get a few more precious seconds to recover, and clearly needed it. He still looked dazed when the fight resumed around 30 seconds later, and was hanging on at the final bell after Legg nailed him flush with a left hook.

Legg thanked trainers Mervyn Turner and Sean Byrne afterwards and hopes to be back in the ring as early as September – hopefully in Milton Keynes again.

The five-fight show also featured teenage heavyweight Hughie Fury. He made it eight wins out of eight with a points win over Moses Matovu in a fight that kept the big crowd entertained.

There were also one-round wins for light-heavyweight Marco Stephenson and Mark Douglas, and in the opening fight Billy Bird out-pointed James Child in a competitive four-round scrap.