Milton Keynes Hockey Club round-up

editorial image
Share this article

Results and reports from the city’s men’s and ladies’ teams.

Milton Keynes Ladies 1sts 1

Staines Ladies 2nds 3

The game started well for MK who dominated initially with some great work on both left and right flanks.

Helen Cooke played a nice ball to Louise Reynolds who took it across the back line and into path of Sophie Reynolds for the first goal of the game.

MK were unlucky to not go two or even three up with chances from Gemma Meredith and Louise Reynolds just going wide. Unfortunately MK gave away a short corner later in the first half which, although it was cut out, was not cleared and the shot came across the circle which was deflected home as an own goal.

In the second half Staines piled on the pressure and some fine defending and goalkeeping from Emma Small kept Staines at bay for a while, but the pressure in the end took its toll and MK were caught off guard with two long range goals from Staines in quick succession.

MK retaliated and in the last 10 minutes produced some good attacks down the right with Maxine Mcmenamin, Alice Vigor, Sophie Reynolds and Gemma Meredith, but they were just unable to turn their chances into goals.

The player of match award was shared between goalkeeper Emma Small and Alice Vigor.

Milton Keynes Ladies 3rds 1

Oxford Ladies 4ths 7

MK had the first chance of the game with Talyssa Mensah, Alice Bailey and Pip Thorne starting with an attack. However, disaster struck and MK found themselves three goals down in five minutes from a mix of open play and a short corner.

This was a combination of MK not moving to the ball and not passing it to players in open spaces. But they started to improve their game, despite needing several position changes due to bumps, knocks and twinging muscles.

The defence managed to stem the tide for a while with Maddy Boyce, Barbara Grove, Nic Lush, Babs Lisgarten and Emma Hooton making many saves, tackles and clearances, getting the ball to the midfield of Sam Grover and Lauren Hooton.

However, Oxford managed to add two more goals to their score tally and it make it 5-0 at the break.

MK kept their resolve and reacted quicker to the ball and player movement in the second half.

Lana Camp had good possession and slowed the attacks on the right for MK, with Emily Watkins battling hard on the left. This saw MK with many plays in the Oxford circle and they were awarded some short corners. However, MK’s goal arrived from open play and from player of the match Pip Thorne after she took the ball into the D and beat the Oxford keeper to the delight of the team.

Milton Keynes Men 2nds 3

Eastcote Men 3rds 0

MK went down to Eastcote with fewer numbers than usual, mainly due to injuries, but they were still a confident side looking for a win.

The game started with a bit of a stalemate, with both sides having chances and no one managing to capitalise. After 25 minutes of hard graft MK managed to open the scoring with Matt Darvell firing a shot in from a tight angle. And soon after some inspired play from Jack Luther meant he could put MK 2-0 up.

MK began dominating the game after scoring those two goals, and despite a few reasonable attacks by Eastcote the game was pretty much in MK’s hands. The win was finally sealed when Grant Webster drove a textbook short corner strike into the back of the goal.

Milton Keynes Men Samurai 12

Witney Men 4ths 1

MK Samurai went back into a promotion position with an emphatic victory over Witney. MK were in a different class to their opposition and knew they would have to push themselves to put in a respectable performance.

They did this with ease in the first half, passing with pace and keeping their structure as they rewarded with eight goals.

But the second half saw MK dragged down to the opposition’s level, the passing less accurate, the structure breaking down too often, and the finishing poor.

Nevertheless it was an important victory, plus a significant boost to their goal difference, and a measure of how far the team have progressed after beating the same opposition 4-0 in the first half of the season. The man of the match was Ben Jones with four goals.

Elsewhere the Men’s 1sts lost out 1-0 to London Wayfarers, the 3rds fell 2-1 against Oxford 5ths, and the 4ths lost 4-3 to Eastcote 5ths. The Ladies’ 2nds were beaten 4-1 by Gerrards Cross and the 4ths beat Berkhamsted & Hemel Hempstead 3-1.