Welcome break for ladies after away defeat

editorial image

MILTON Keynes Hockey Club’s ladies’ 1sts go into the Christmas break on the back of a disappointing defeat after they went down 4-1 to Wallingford.

MK started the game on the back foot and Wallingford took the lead inside the first minute of the game – finding a way through the away defence to slot the ball past midfielder Chrissy Little, making her debut in goal.

MK looked to step up the pressure on the Wallingford defence, and in doing so created several scoring opportunities. But it wasn’t long before MK found themselves two goals down after the hosts scored on the break.

Determined to get something out of the game, MK began to play some linking hockey, Steph Bates, Sarah Lowry, Maxine McMenamin and Helen Cooke all making some well-timed tackles and working the ball well out of defence to the midfield.

They went close to scoring on a number of occasions, with some driving runs from both Lou Reynolds and Gemma Meredith creating further scoring opportunities, but a goal just wasn’t forthcoming.

Instead MK conceded a third goal not long before half time. But following a half time team talk from coach Sue Sutton, MK returned to the pitch determined to start a fresh in the second half, up their game and begin their comeback.

Lindsay Kettleborough worked tirelessly in midfield to link MK’s defence to attack and her persistence was rewarded when they found the net following a quick side line ball from Sophie Reynolds to player of the match Alice Vigor at the top of the circle. She calmly rounded two defenders and fired the ball home for 3-1.

In the final stages of the game, MK’s defence came under some pressure with Little in goal being forced to make some fine saves, but in the closing stages the home side finally found a way through to complete a 4-1 victory.

Elsewhere the ladies’ 2nds lost 4-2 to Oxford Hawks, with goals from Gemma Little and Vikki Alexander, while the 3rds suffered a 4-0 defeat to Reading.

The men’s 3rds beat Tring 5-2 and the samurai team saw off High Wycombe 3-0.