Stannard ends season on a high

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

IAN Stannard finished his cycling season in style on Sunday, crossing the line fourth in one of the final classics of the season.

Having got over the very wet Paris-Bourges semi-classic on Thursday afternoon, the 24-year-old pulled out all the stops in Sunday’s aptly named printers classic’ Paris-Tour, topping off a season that has seen him pick up his first pro win, a handful of top ten placings and prove that he is maturing well beyond his four years in the professional ranks.

Despite starting his racing year in early February and having clocked up more than 90 race days since then, Stannard has continued to be in the thick of the action.

In the last two weeks, he has competed in his last stage race of 2011, the four day Circuit Franco–Belge, the 190km Paris-Bourges and then on Sunday, finishing on the Avenue de Grammont in Tours - one of the most famous straights in bike racing.

An early break built up a challenging lead of around 11 minutes but they were reeled in and Ian was then part of the more than 20 man group that forced its way to the front with around 50kms to go.

Forging ahead, they opened a gap of just over 90 second with 25kms remaining but some riders then started to ride more for themselves than trying to keep a competitive group together and they were missing their turns.

“The main problem of the day was the very strong cross winds,” Ian said.

“That and the tired legs some of the guys had. Some of them had already been in the break that went away at the start of the race”.

With 15kms remaining, a rider broke clear but was slowly pulled back by a chasing pair that included eventual winner Greg Van Avermaet of Belgium. “Yeh, that was a mistake,” Ian admitted. “I was hoping that Stuey would mark Van Avermaet’s wheel and when he went I thought I’d missed the boat.”

With the leading pair up the road, another group of around half a dozen riders pulled away from Stannard’s group but he dug even deeper into his reserves and with just under 2.5kms remaining he dragged his way back onto six chasers and sat in to recover his strength.

He added:“Getting into that break with around 50kms to go I knew I had a chance so having thought it had gone from me I gave it full gas and managed to get across back to Stuey’s group”.

As this group slipped under the 1km to go banner, Ian bided his time and attacked with another rider but was strong enough to out-sprint him to come home in an ecstatic fourth.

He said: “I’m pleased with my results this year but that’s because I enjoy what I do. I’m consistent and will always do whatever job I’m asked to do so when the results come along as well, that’s great too.”