Boss resigns after Swans retain Cup

editorial image

TERRY Shrieves announced that he will be resigning as Newport Pagnell manager, just moments after the club retained their Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy on Tuesday.

The Swans celebrated another cup win after beating Flackwell Heath on penalties following a 1-1 draw at Aylesbury FC. But Shrieves informed his players that he will be leaving at the end of the season, saying he’s frustrated the club doesn’t match his own personal ambitions.

The 51-year-old has been boss at Willen Road for six years but says it’s now time to move on because financial restraints mean the club is likely to lose some of their best players this summer.

“The budget for next season isn’t what it should be for a team of this ability. It feels like myself and the players are being taken for granted,” he explained. “I thought that we’re in a great position to move on to the next level but people at this club just seem to be happy where they are. I’m not.”

Shrieves says he’s been considering his options for most of the season, but insists he leaves the club in a good position, and will remain in charge for Newport’s final four matches of the UCL Premier League season, with the Swans set to finish third.

“I want to stay in football and manage a team that has my desire to progress,” said Shrieves. “It doesn’t matter if it’s a league below, I just want to be at a club that has the resources to fullfill its potential.”

Shrieves broke the news after seeing his side retain the two counties Senior Trophy with a penalty shoot out victory against Flackwell Heath on Tuesday night.

The Swans - making a fourth successive final appearance - took a 67th minute lead through Darren Lynch. It seemed enough but with just two minutes to play Danny Jones levelled for Flackwell.

Extra time produced no further goals, so it came down to penalties. Jones and Adam Durrant scored the first two for Flackwell, as did Newport’s Richard Armstrong and Liam Smyth.

But when veteran keeper Paul Warnecki saved Daniel Tripp’s kick it was advantage Newport, and Daniel Nti duly fired them ahead. With the pressure on Jamie West failed to hit the target for the Hellenic side and Scott Mulkern slotted home his kick to keep the trophy in residence at Willen Road and give Newport some reward for a fine campaign.

“I was going to go whatever the result, but it was nice to end with another cup win,” said Shrieves.