Brown's late equaliser secures Dons a point at Fleetwood

Fleetwood Town 1-1 MK Dons

Saturday, 1st May 2021, 5:23 pm
Updated Saturday, 1st May 2021, 5:24 pm

Dons' remote chances of securing a play-off spot were ended on Saturday with a 1-1 draw with Fleetwood Town.

After a goal-less first half with precious few chances, it was a mistake on the hour mark from Louis Thompson which allowed Fleetwood to counter and Gerard Garner opened the scoring.

Charlie Brown prodded Dons level with eight minutes to go to earn a point for Russell Martin's side, ending their winning run and their chances of a top-six finish.

Following their 5-0 drubbing of Swindon Town last Saturday, Dons were forced into just one change to the side as Ethan Laird was feeling unwell and had to drop to the bench. It mean Matt O'Riley took over at left wing-back, with Matthew Sorinola taking up the right flank. Louis Thompson was also named on the bench having missed out since the 2-0 defeat to Crewe at the start of April.

With little riding on the game for either side, it was a scrappy affair in the opening 45 minutes. A Wes Burns header hit the post for Fleetwood in the opening 10 minutes as the hosts looked a threat from corners, but did little else to really carve Dons open.

At the other end, Will Grigg skidded an effort just wide while Scott Fraser had the ball in the net but Matthew Sorinola was deemed offside much to the dismay of Russell Martin in the Dons dugout.

Sorinola would then force a decent save from Alex Cairns in the Fleetwood net as the game got a bit feisty, with some heavy challenges flying in from both sets of players, though only David Kasumu would see his name go into the book. He would make way at the interval for the returning Louis Thompson at half time after Matt O'Riley earlier limped out, replaced by Lasse Sorensen.

It would be the second substitute though who would make a mistake to allow Fleetwood to take the led on the hour mark. After Thompson tripped over the ball on the halfway line, Fleetwood were able to break with Gerard Garner down the right, cutting inside onto his left foot before bending an effort just out of the reach of Andrew Fisher's dive.

Dons though would rally and look the side on top after falling behind. Grigg would live a lonely existence again with precious little falling his way.

Though it looked like a mistake from a substitute would cost Dons points, another replacement from the bench would come to their rescue with eight minutes to go. Charlie Brown had taken a big hit on his ankle not long after coming on, but after Sorinola's shot was parried into his path, managed to just about get enough on the rebound to see it trickle over the line to salvage a point.

Referee: Stephen Martin

Fleetwood Town: Cairns, Andrew, Connolly, Burns , Rossiter, McKay (Whelan 87), Donacien, Finley (Morris 87), Biggins, Garner (Vassell 87), Hill

Subs not used: Coleman, Sheron, Baggley, Feeney

MK Dons: Fisher, Lewington, Darling, Jules, O'Riley (Sorensen 35), Sorinola, Surman (Houghtonb 64), Kasumu, McEachran (Brown 68)(Thompson 46), Fraser, Grigg (Bird 84)

Subs not used: Nicholls, Laird, Bird

Booked: Kasumu, Sorinola, Burns, Lewington