Football round-up: Stony hit rock bottom

editorial image
Share this article

THINGS can not get any worse for poor Stony Stratford Town who sit joint bottom of the South Midlands League Division One after another weekend to forget.

Sun Postal Sports were the latest to leave Ostlers Lane with all three points thanks to a 3-1 win - Stony’s 19th defeat from 25 this season.

They are one of four teams stuck on 16 points at the foot of the table, but have played more games than any other side and have amassed a goal difference of -57 on the way.

Only Sport London e Benfica had a worse record and goal difference than Stony this season, but when they withdrew from the league it left Town holding up the rest.

Perhaps Stony could take some advice from the club’s newest fan, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson. He recently sent injured Stony player Duane Bhasin a ‘get well soon’ letter after he broke his leg in a Sunday League fixture at the start of January.

Things are going quite well for Stony’s ladies though who made it through to the Berks & Bucks Cup semi final thanks to a 4-1 away win at Ascot United.

Caitlin Redfern fired home early on and Kelly Wing added a second goal before Ascot pulled one back with their only real chance of the game.

Goals from Caitlin and Tamsin Graveson made it comfortable for Stony after the break as they enter the last four of the competition for the first time in their history.

MK Wanderers doubled their points tally for the SML Division Two season when they drew 2-2 at Caddington. They remain rooted to the foot of the table but have at least narrowed the gap on second bottom Bletchley to five points as they did not play. The other game in the third tier saw Old Bradwell lose 3-2 to Tring Corinthians.

Newport Pagnell Town kept up their dogged pursuit of leaders St Neots with a 2-0 victory away at Cogenhoe United.

The Swans remain three points behind big spending St Neots and have played a game more, but stay very much in contention thanks to goals from their usual suspects.

A 35th minute Vinny Shrieves goal had the Swans in front at the interval after Richard Armstrong, Daren Dykes and Darren Lynch were involved in the build up.

And their success was sealed by Daren Dykes’ 25th goal of the season, an 81st minute penalty.

The top of the United Counties League Premier Division is a very unforgiving place this season as St Ives have won 18 of their 21 games, matched almost blow for blow by Terry Shrieves’ Swans.

Just a single defeat could ruin Newport’s title hopes, but they’ll certainly be motivated going into this Saturday’s home match with Sleaford, knowing that a win will see them go level on points with the leaders for the first time this campaign.

St Ives are still in this season’s FA Vase and travel to Poole Town looking to progress into round five, with Newport manager Shrieves hoping the Cambridgeshire outfit will be distracted by their run in the Vase and that his side can take advantage. The Swans are still to play St Ives at Willen Road later this season in a game likely to go a long way to determining who wins the league.

Olney Town remain top of the UCL Division One tree but might not be for much longer after two games without a win.

The Nurserymen were held to a 2-2 draw by title rivals Thrapston at East Street - a result which has opened the door to AFC Kempston Rovers who, unlike Olney, are still in red-hot form.

Neil Griffiths’ men were almost untouchable during the first half of the season, but the break from action during December seems to have stalled their momentum.

Thrapston stay third in the table and snatched an injury time goal to deny Olney all three points. Sam Parrish had given Olney an early lead and Jordan Nash struck with 20 minutes remaining after the visitors had equalised. But a 92nd minute goal broke Olney hearts.

MK Sunday League

OLNEY town tasted victory for the first time in what looks like a quite uncompetitive Premier Division season at the eighth time of asking with a 5-3 win away at Willen A.

Those two teams join Great Mile Ash and Open University on one win and four points as Stony Stratford Town continue to lead the way with a 100 per cent record. Stony enjoyed a break from league action and reached the fourth round of the Berks & Bucks Cup with a 5-2 win over Happy Union.

Steven Eagell Toyota - who sit second in the top flight - are also through to the next round, beating Langley Murphs 2-0.

The only match in Division One saw mid-table rivals FC MMIX and Open University B share the points and four goals while in Division Two leaders Wolverton Town extended their lead at the top with a 2-1 win over Stantonbury Social and there was a 6-1 win for Padbury AFC against New City Saints.

North Bucks League

LOUGHTON Manor moved to the top of the Premier Division thanks to a 4-2 victory against Deanshanger, while Wolverton Town remain bottom following another defeat, this time at the hands of Southcott Village.

MK Wanderers lost ground on Intermediate Division table toppers Stoke Hammond after losing 4-3 to Great Linford and Hanslope lost the battle of the top two in Division One, going down 3-2 to Stoke Hammond Reserves.

Celtic MK progressed to the Berks & Bucks Cup fifth round with a penalty shoot-out win over Fulcons after a 2-2 draw.