Football round-up: Surprise wins for Stony and Peters

editorial image

SATURDAY’S South Midlands League Division One action proved very eventful as Stony Stratford Town picked up a much needed three points against Kentish Town and New Bradwell St Peter caused a bit of an upset at Cranfield United.

Goals from Crawley and Tite gave Stony a superb win at Ostlers Lane, seeing them climb a place to third from bottom of the table, while Peters surprised high-flying Cranfield with a 3-1 away success – Ward, McDonald and Kemoagna getting the all important goals.

Cranfield have another home game this Saturday with Chesham Utd Reserves the visitors, as New Bradwell are back on their travels to London Colney and Stony visit Langford.

Mursley United climbed to the top of the Division Two table thanks to a 2-1 win over local rivals Bletchley Town, Folland and Hollingsworth their scorers and Bearman grabbing the visitors’ goal.

That made it eight wins out of 10 this season for Mursley ahead of their trip to The 61 FC (Luton), while Bletchley should take pride from running them close and welcome Chalfont Wasps in their Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup third round tie high in confidence following a string of very impressive away results. The other games in Division Two see Old Bradwell host Kent Athletic and MK Wanderers travel to Tring Corinthians.

Newport Pagnell Town’s up and down United Counties League Premier Division season continued on Tuesday night when they lost 2-0 at home to Wellingborough Town 2004, three days after recording a 2-1 victory over Holbeach United at Willen Road.

Holbeach took a 27th minute lead from the penalty spot but Daren Dykes hauled the Swans level in the first minute of the second half, converting a Dom Lawless cross.

The woodwork denied Dykes a second goal on the hour but Newport wouldn’t be denied the win as Lawless converted a late penalty awarded for handball. However, it was a different story on Tuesday night when Wellingborough scored two second half goals to leave with all three points.

Olney Town returned emphatically to winning ways by seeing off Wootton Blue Cross 4-0 on Saturday. The Nurserymen were thumped 5-1 by Division One leaders Bugbrooke St Michaels in their previous outing, but are now back to within two points of them, albeit having played four more games.

The returning Stewart Allan scored the first two Olney goals against Wootton Blue Cross after 45 and 64 minutes, and their tally was doubled in stoppage time with Jared Cunniff netting on 91 and 93 minutes.

Both UCL sides are in cup action this Saturday – Olney entertaining Hazlemere Sports in a Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup third round tie, and Newport take on Essex Senior League side Stansted in an FA Vase second round tie at Willen Road.



Stony Stratford have gone top of the Premier Division for the first time this season after a comprehensive 11-1 win against FC Lifesearch, thanks in no small part to a double hat-trick from L White, with D Robb (2), R Archer, A Grubb and S Poulter getting the other goals.

CS Athletic moved into second place after a 7-2 win against Open University, while previous table toppers Willen have dropped to third after sharing six goals and the points with Trade 2U.

In the other Premier Division games, Kings Arms defeated Loughton Athletic 4-1 and Stantonbury Social A and Great Mile Ash shared the points in a 2-2 draw.

Olney remain top of Division One after beating MK Legends 7-0 courtesy of goals from Gary Janes (2), Greg Hardie (2), Paul Adams, Liam Bennett and an own goal.

Joint top with Olney are FC MMIX who hammered poor MK United 9-0 and AFC Santander who beat Buckingham United 3-2. AFC’s goals came from Lewis Gray, David Hamper and a wonderful finish by David Ashcroft.

Punjab Utd inflicted Stantonbury Social B’s first defeat of the season in a 4-2 win, while in the other games Stoke Hammond beat New City Saints 7-0 and Stantonbury the Manor defeated Stacey Bushes 9-2.



The Premier Division’s top two met on Saturday, but the game ended with a very one-sided scoreline as MK Wanderers Res thrashed Potterspury 6-0.

Despite their heavy defeat, Potterspury actually remain top of the pile by a single point, but have played two games more than their title rivals.

At the wrong end of the table MK Titans fell to another defeat, this time 4-1 away to Silverstone, while there was penalty shoot out drama in the Premier Division Trophy as Wolverton Town beat Great Linford 4-3 on spot-kicks after the sides drew 3-3. Also through to the second round are Loughton Manor who beat Deanshanger Athletic 4-1.

The Intermediate Trophy saw an 8-0 thrashing for Olney Town at the hands of Celtic MK, while City Colts beat MK Titans Res 6-2, Great Horwood saw off Denbigh Sports by the odd goal in seven, and Bow Brickhill beat Wicken Sports 6-3.

Woughton lost 4-1 to Potterspury Res in the Division One Trophy and Stoke Hammond thumped Twyford United 6-0.