Football round-up: Swans beaten as striker signs for Cobblers

editorial image

NEWPORT Pagnell suffered something of a hangover from their FA Vase exit when they went down to a surprising home defeat to Deeping Rangers on Saturday.

The 4-3 Willen Road defeat came a week after Darren Lynch’s men bowed out of the Vase to Ashington in the fourth round, and a poor second half performance saw them lose on home soil again as Deeping staged a second half turnaround.

Daren Dykes gave the Swans the lead, but six minutes later Scott Ginty squared the match with a Deeping equaliser. Five minutes before half time Chris Logan was penalised for handball and Keith Williams converted the spot kick to hand Newport an interval lead.

Josh Moreman levelled for the visitors on the hour mark, and four minutes later he struck again to put Rangers ahead.

With a quarter of an hour to play Ginty scored his second to leave Deeping well in control, and despite a late Dom Lawless goal the home side were well beaten.

That defeat leaves the Swans eighth in the United Counties League Premier and boss Lynch will have to do without one of this season’s top performers after striker Lewis Wilson clinched a professional deal with League Two side Northampton Town.

The youngster from Milton Keynes was on the books at Rushden & Diamonds and joined Newport in July last year. During his short time with the club he was spotted by a Cobblers scout and offered a trial, going on to impress boss Aidy Boothroyd enough to earn himself a contract until the end of this season.

UCL Division One side Olney Town were knocked out of the Berks & Bucks Cup by South Reading who won 5-4 – particularly harsh on Olney striker Stewart Allan who had put his side in the driving seat with a hat-trick inside five first half minutes.

In South Midlands League Division One, Stony Stratford fell 5-2 at home to Crawley Green while New Bradwell St Peter lost 3-1 at Chesham United Reserves and Cranfield United beat Langford 4-3.

In Division Two, Old Bradwell recorded a surprise 1-0 win at Mursley United and MK Wanderers thrashed Hale Leys United 5-2 to move off the bottom of the pile.


With Stony Stratford Town on cup duty, Willen took full advantage with a 13-0 win over Open University to extend their lead at the top of the Premier Division to eight points, with goals including hat-tricks for Bass and Raynor.

FC Lifesearch defeated Padbury AFC 3-0, Stantonbury Social A beat Kings Arms 3-1 and Trade 2U saw off Loughton Athletic 4-1.

Willen may be eight points clear at the top of the table, but unbeaten Stony have five games in hand. They may be unbeaten in the league, but their Berks & Bucks Cup run came to an end with a 5-0 defeat away to Elm Farm.

Olney remain top of Division One after their 7-2 win against Punjab United. AFC Santander are still level on points though after beating Stantonbury Social B 5-2.

Stoke Hammond MK lost ground on the leaders after being held to a 2-2 draw with MK United. FC MMIX beat Stacey Bushes 7-0 and Stantonbury The Manor drew 1-1 with New City Saints. Buckingham United climbed off the bottom of the table with a 5-2 win against MK Legends who replace them.


Wolverton Town turned on the style to beat MK Titans 7-1 in their Premier Division meeting, while Loughton Manor saw off Yardley Gobion 5-2, and Great Linford had a 1-1 draw at Deanshanger Athletic.

Southcott Village thrashed Grendon Rangers 5-1 to extend their lead at the top of the table to five points. However, MK Wanderers now have four games in hand.

Stoke Hammond maintained their place at the top of the Intermediate Division by seeing off Bow Brickhill 5-2. Other results included a 3-1 victory for Celtic MK against Denbigh Hall, a 4-3 win for Wicken Sports over Steeple Claydon, and 4-2 victory for AFC Santander against Olney.

In Division One there were wins for Bow Brickhill Reserves, Bletchley Bridge and Potterspury Res, while Woughton and Stoke Hammond Res were beaten.

The top two teams met in Division Two and Great Linford Res came out on top by beating City Colts Res 3-2. Wolverton Res lost 3-1 to Yardley Gobion Res and Great Horwood Res drew 1-1 with Hanslope Res.