Grigg hits four as Dons emphatically send Swindon down

MK Dons 5-0 Swindon Town

Saturday, 24th April 2021, 4:57 pm
Updated Saturday, 24th April 2021, 4:58 pm

Will Grigg became the first player to score four goals in a game for MK Dons they ran riot against Swindon Town on Saturday, winning 5-0.

Grigg netted twice in either half, with a first half Scott Fraser penalty adding to the tally in the most comprehensive performance of the season.

Swindon were as bad as Dons were brilliant at Stadium MK, confirming their return to League Two in a dismal outing as Dons climbed to ninth in the table.

After their midweek win over Bristol Rovers, Russell Martin made just one change to his side as Josh McEachran came back out of the side for Andrew Surman - the same team which faced Portsmouth.

Having comfortably seen off Rovers, who were relegated ahead of the 3pm kick-offs as a result of their early defeat to Portsmouth, Dons set about controlling the early stages against Swindon and did so in remarkable fashion.

The visitors could barely get close to the ball in the opening half an hour as Dons ran them ragged, passed brilliantly and controlled the tempo, deservedly racing into a 2-0 lead.

The first came when a ball looped over the top for Scott Fraser to chase, picking out Will Grigg to poke home from inside the six yard box after 15 minutes.

Having had an earlier penalty appeal turned away when Ethan Laird was downed in the penalty area, there were few complaints when Zak Jules' shot was blocked by a Swindon hand, allowing Fraser to convert his ninth penalty of the season.

Only after falling two goals behind did Swindon come to life in their fight to avoid the drop, but their best chance of the half was incredibly fired over the bar by Tyler Smith, who was left completely unmarked 10 yards out.

A Swindon goal at that stage could have really changed the complexion of the game as they enjoyed a period of possession, but the game was effectively put to bed on the stroke of half-time when Jules kept alive a deep corner, crossing low for Grigg to sweep home his second of the afternoon to make it 3-0.

During his two loan spells at Stadium MK, Grigg had never scored a hat-trick but it took just 50 seconds of the second half before he put that statistic to bed. A terrific ball from David Kasumu unleashed Fraser on the left-hand side, and his tempting ball across the face of goal was just about reached by the striker to slid in his third of the game.

Grigg would need just four more minutes to break another Dons record - the first player to score four in a game as he fired in from 10 yards, left criminally unmarked by the Swindon defence to make it 5-0.

The striker would leave with the matchball but would watch the majority of the second half from the stands as he made way for Charlie Brown on 55 minutes, but even with a five-goal advantage, Dons weren't in the mood to stop. Andrew Surman had two excellent chances to make it 6-0, the first was cleared off the line but the second could have seen Fraser net his second, but the Scot pulled it back for Surman who looped it over the top.

Ethan Laird came close to finding a sixth too, meeting O'Riley's corner but Lee Camp made his first save of the afternoon with 10 minutes to go, tipping his header onto the bar.

Referee: Scott Oldham

MK Dons: Fisher, Lewington, Darling, Jules, Laird, Sorinola, Kasumu (Houghton 53), Surman (Sorensen 75), O'Riley, Fraser, Grigg (Brown 53)

Subs not used: Nicholls, McEachran, Mason, Bird

Swindon Town: Camp, Grounds, Baudry (Broadbent 26), Pitman (Hope 54), Smith, Twine, Garrick, Payne, Palmer, Thompson (J Grant 63), A Grant

Subs not used: Matthews, Grant, Curran, Missiloui, Omotoye