Hull prove too strong for Dons as they claim victory

Match ReportMatch Report
Match Report
MK Dons 1-3 Hull City

MK Dons' four-match unbeaten run in League One came to an abrupt end on Saturday as Hull City beat them 3-1 to go top of the table.

A crazy opening 12 minutes saw Josh Magennis net twice for the visitors, either side of a Ste Walker equaliser to give the game a breathless start.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But Dons could not repeat their comeback for a second time, and try and they might, could not find a way past Matt Ingram. Ste Walker, Matthew Sorinola and Scott Fraser all had decent sights of goal, but James Scott's goal 15 minutes from the end made sure for Hull.

The result sees Dons drop back down to 17th in the table.

With Louis Thompson likely sidelined until 2021 at least, Dons were forced into one change to the side which beat Sunderland last Saturday, bringing back Jordan Houghton in the centre of midfield. Midweek signing Andrew Surman was named amongst the substitutes.

All thoughts of their positive result away at Sunderland seven days prior went out of the window after a frantic opening 12 minutes saw three goals fly in. First, Josh Magennis netted the first of his brace by turning the ball nicely around the corner to beat Andrew Fisher after seven minutes. But Ste Walker pulled Dons level three minutes later, also shooting on the turn to beat Matt Ingram and level things for the home side.

Having done the hard work in drawing level quickly though, Dons were quickly behind for a second time when Magennis out-muscled Richard Keogh to lash home his and Hull's second in the 12th minute to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Unable to repeat their immediate response, Dons had to build back into the game from there, certainly more wary of Hull's firepower. But the home side still had the better of the game though, with Walker twice testing Ingram – the second chance of which he should have done better with after he raced clear from the halfway line, but fired into the keeper's chest.

At the other end, Malik Wilks saw a couple of efforts wide of the mark as Hull threatened without really testing Fisher further.

Dons have started second halves well in recent weeks and they were in the driving seat for much of the opening 20 minutes. But Hull found their feet and began to slow the game down to their pace, gradually easing themselves into the Dons half.

Despite not really troubling Fisher, Hull wrapped up the game with 15 minutes to go when James Scott got the final touch after a mess in Dons' goal-mouth eventually bounced past Fisher via the upright.

Referee: Scott Oldham

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

MK Dons: Fisher, Lewington (Cargill 83), Keogh, O'Hora, Sorinola, Gladwin (Poole 73), Kasumu (Morris 73), Houghton (Surman 65), Fraser, Walker, Jerome (Sorensen 83)

Subs not used: Nicholls, Freeman

Hull City: Ingram, Elder, Burke, Smallwood (Batty 82), Wilks (Samuelson 87), Honeyman (Slater 82), Emmanual, Jones, Adelakun (Scott 65), Greaves, Magennis (Eaves 65)

Subs not used: Long, Coyle

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.