Linnetts leave it late against Newport

Newport Pagnell (green/white) v Sleaford (red) at Willen Road.
Newport Pagnell (green/white) v Sleaford (red) at Willen Road.

A DEVASTATING late double from King’s Lynn saw Newport snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on Monday.

On the surface, losing to the runaway United Counties League Premier division leaders may not seem so bad, but with Darren Lynch’s men leading with five minutes to go, the 2-1 loss at the Walks Stadium is a bitter pill to swallow, particularly coming off the back of a spectacular 5-0 victory over Sleaford just two days earlier.

Dom Lawless’ second half strike put the Swans ahead and it looked like they would hold on for the win.

The Linnets came close to an equaliser minutes later, both Dan Buhlemann and Spriggs forcing McAdoo into stunning saves.

But Lynn did get the equaliser with five minutes remaining, Harris the saviour with a superb header from Spriggs’ cross. And sensing blood, the home side won the game in the last minute with a mazy run and finish from Spriggs, sparking celebration from the Lynn bench and fans alike.

The Swans wrapped up a comfortable victory to round out 2011 though, putting five past Sleaford. Braces from Dean Buss and Dean Lawless, and another from Daren Dykes ensured all the points stayed at Willen Road.

Results over the festive period mean Newport sit eighth in the UCL Premier, with a healthy gap to chasing Stewarts & Lloyds Corby, while Newport have five games in hand over Blackstones in seventh.

Next up for Newport is a trip to 12th place Deeping Rangers on Saturday as they look to climb the table.

New Bradwell St Peter said farewell to manager Gary Flinn on New Year’s Eve after he stepped down from his role at the club. And it wasn’t the goodbye he’d wanted as his side fell 2-0 to Ampthill, thanks to goals from Nick Hughes and Lea Coulter. Their game on Monday against Crawley Green was postponed, and they currently sit 14th.

Chairman Scott Booden paid tribute to his outgoing manager, who gave up the post due to work and family commitments.

Booden said: “Firstly, I must thank Gary for all his hard work over the past couple of years, I know at times it seems to be thankless but a good many people do appreciate just what a large effort is required.”

The search for a new manager has begun though, and interested parties can email their application to Ian Rollins at

It was much better news for Stony Stratford Town as they lifted themselves out of the bottom two with a 2-1 win over struggling Buckingham Athletic.

With Stony dominating the midfield, they scored on 33 minutes when a long ball out of defence was badly defended by Athletic allowing Josh Crawley to slot the ball into the home net. The second half started better for Athletic and they equalised on 51 minutes when Adam Bone scored from the penalty spot.

As Athletic looked to build, it was Stony who looked the more dangerous. And Stony would not be denied and they scored again on 65 minutes when Greg Tite converted a right wing cross from close range to seal the victory and all three points. But they couldn’t continue their impressive run in their first game of 2012, slipping to a 4-2 defeat at home to Cranfield United, and remain 20th in the table.