No excuses for Yeovil defeat says Martin

editorial image

DAVID Martin feels Dons need more consistency if they are to mount a serious challenge for League 1 promotion.

Speaking after the 2-1 defeat to Yeovil on Tuesday night, the goalkeeper said that after the heroic display at Loftus Road, when Dons beat QPR 4-2 in the FA Cup fourth round, they needed to back it up with a fine result.

But in horrible conditions at Huish Park, Dons were soundly beaten by the Glovers, and Martin says the team need to find some consistency and need to learn to win ugly if they’re to get to the Championship next season.

Martin said: “We’ve got to look on to the next game, and that’s Bournemouth at home. It’s a huge game for us. We’re a great team, and we need to show it now.

“We can’t just have great games like we did on Saturday, play really well and beat a team like QPR – we’ve got to do it week in, week out at places like Yeovil, in conditions like this. That’s how championships are won and we’ve got to add that to our game.

“It was difficult with the conditions and the wind, but we can’t blame it on that because it was the same for both teams.

“We conceded two goals and they took their chances. At the end of the day, they were the better team.”

Controversy reared it’s ugly head again though, this time surrounding the sending off of Antony Kay.

After the match, boss Karl Robinson claimed that Paddy Madden, scorer of both of Yeovil’s goals on the night, cheated to get the Dons defender sent off by feigning injury.

Martin though said he was concentrating on the ball when the incident happened and didn’t get a good look.

He said: “The referee didn’t see it, and I think it was the fourth official that gave it. I saw in the first instance that Kay went to get the ball, and then I was concentrating on the ball as it went down the wing when it all kicked off again.”

Martin later admitted feeling frustrated about not getting a firmer hand on Madden’s 26th minute strike, which he could only get his fingertips to as it nestled in the bottom corner to give Yeovil the lead.

“It was just a bit too much,” he said. “I couldn’t really get the traction to get a full-stretch dive. I got a hand on it, but I couldn’t quite tip it around the post. On a nicer day, it would have been an easier save to make.

“But things didn’t go for us and we have to look to Saturday.”