Dons boss Karl Robinson says he sees no reason why he won’t be on the touchline at stadium:mk in August.
The 35-year-old has been subject to speculation in recent weeks after he admitted his future was in the hands of chairman Pete Winkelman as Dons were relegated back to League 1.
Both Robinson and Winkelman took to the press last week to point the finger at various reasons for the club’s demise this season, though both stopped short of confirming, one way or another, Robinson’s future at the club.
A week on though, Robinson says he feels he’s the right man for the job.
When asked if Saturday was to be his last in charge of Dons, he said: “It’s the last game I’ll manage MK Dons in the Championship for the forseeable future!
“I can’t answer that because I’m not the chairman. I can’t sit here after being relegated saying ‘I’m going to be here next season!’ because if I was the chairman, I’d look at it and think ‘who does he think he is?!’
“But likewise, the chairman needs to know if I still want to be in League 1.
“I feel I can compete now, but there are certain players I want to compete with. In football, you just don’t know. I can’t see why there’d be any reason to stop me standing on that touchline next season.
“I want this taste again, and that will strive me on next year. I know where I want to be, but the challenge between me and the chairman has to remain as strong as it can be.
“I have to be focus and challenged and the best I can be. The club must then work out how to get the best out of me, and that has to be done by the board. I have the skillset to do what I want to do. The chairman asked me where I want to be, and I said ‘the Premier League’, but in an ideal world that’s with MK Dons.
The relationship between me and the chairman, from the outside world, could have looked fragile, but people had to say what they needed to say. It has been set up for us both to do what is right for our careers.
“It’s now about making the decision for the benefit of the club.”