REPORT: Huddersfield 2-0 MK Dons:ons made to pay for defensive errors

Match report PNL-151020-204711002
Match report PNL-151020-204711002

Two defensive howlers gifted Huddersfield Town all three points as Dons went down 2-0 at John Smith’s Stadium on Tuesday night.

On the hour mark, McFadzean gave Wells the ball 20 yards out, and with just David Martin to beat, easily rolled the ball into the corner to give Huddersfield the lead.

And while Dons barely threatened, they were caught out again deep into stoppage time when David Martin’s pass to Diego Poyet was cut out by Jamie Paterson to win it for Town.

The defeat sees Dons drop to 18th in the table.

In a controversial move, Karl Robinson dropped both of Saturday’s goal-scorers for the trip to the John Smith’s Stadium. Ben Reeves and Simon Church were named among the substitutes as Nicky Maynard made his first start for Dons, Samir Carruthers returned to the starting line-up after suspension, and Carl Baker replaced Rob Hall on the flank.

It was the home side who had the brighter of starts, though Dons had the better of the chances in the opening 20 minutes. Ismael Miller’s glancing header wide inside three minutes was as close as Town could come, while Nicky Maynard looked alive up front for Dons but was just inches shy of touching Josh Murphy’s cross over the line.

Huddersfield certainly seemed to dictate much of the play but really struggled to make headway against Antony Kay and Kyle McFadzean who looked to make up what they lacked in pace with physicality against Miller and strike partner Nahki Wells.

Dons settled and found their feet but it made for a bitty, messy game as both sides lacked real quality going forward, needlessly giving the ball away in the process. It made for tough watching, with tackles wreckless and late, forcing constant stoppages and breaking up any chances of a decent run of play.

The second half continued in a similar vain, though much of the game was spent with Dons camped in the Town half. The referee allowed play to continue a bit more than in the opening half, but possession was still too easily given away by both sides.

It looked as though it was going to take a moment of magic or a moment of madness to separate the sides, and unfortunately for McFadzean, it was the latter which gifted Huddersfield the opener on 59 minutes. Trying to play blind across his box to Kay behind him, the defender instead played the ball to the willing Wells, who made no mistake in rolling the ball home to put Town ahead.

It prompted Robinson to bring on Ben Reeves and Daniel Powell, at the expense of the industrious Carruthers and the ineffective Baker in a bid to bring about a bit more urgency to Dons’ play. But while Reeves looked keen to get on the ball and get things going, he couldn’t do it alone.

Jake Forster-Caskey was a driving force in the Dons midfield, but constantly being fouled appeared to get with him when he clashed with Joel Lynch off the ball, earning himself a booking and the role as pantomime villain for the remainder of the game.

And while chances never came at Dons end, Huddersfield needed no second invitation to make sure of the points when Martin’s ball out to Poyet was well read by Paterson, who routinely beat the keeper to double the lead with the last kick of the game to wrap it up.

Referee: Peter Bankes

Attendance:11,471 (233)Huddersfield Town: Steer, Davidson, Whitehead, Hudson, Scannell (Smith 90), Miller (Bojaj 90), Cranie, Huws, Bunn, Wells (Paterson 78), Lynch

Subs not used: Murphy, Holmes, Billing, Boyle

MK Dons: Martin, Lewington, Kay, McFadzean, Spence, Carruthers (Reeves 59), Poyet, Forster-Caskey, Murphy, Baker (Powell 64), Maynard (Church 75)

Subs not used: Burns, Hodson, Gallagher, Hall

Booked: Kay, Scannell, Cranie, Forster-Caskey, Lynch, Whitehead