REPORT: Oldham 0-2 MK Dons: Dons grind it out to send Oldham to the bottom

MK Dons' home woes didn't follow them up the M6 on Saturday as they made light work of Oldham Athletic, winning 2-0 at Boundary Park.

Saturday, 1st October 2016, 5:02 pm
Updated Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 2:32 pm
Match report

In a game void of much quality, goals in either half from Ben Reeves and Kieran Agard brushed a poor Oldham aside, while both sides hit the frame in the second period to inject a rare moment of excitement into the otherwise dogged affair.

After the disappointing 3-1 defeat at home to Bury on Tuesday night, MK Dons made one change to the side, and it was enforced as Ed Upson was unable to shake off the knock which saw him come off early in the game at Stadium MK. Samir Carruthers, who replaced Upson that night, continued alongside Darren Potter.

There was little to pick between the sides in the opening half an hour, and it made for a tough contest, both to play and to watch. Both sides found themselves held up on the edge of the penalty areas, struggling for ideas as the defences came out on top.

Neither keeper had much to do: David Martin made the most of Freddie Ladapo's effort from range to tip it over, while Connor Ripley did well to get his fingers to Nicky Maynard's strike wide of the post.

But the Oldham keeper would be red-faced nine minutes before the break as Dons finally got the shred of luck they've been asking for. Ben Reeves' fairly innocuous strike from range looked comfortable for the keeper, somehow squirmed under his dive, crawling over the line as Dons took the lead.

Dons were dealt a blow just before the break when George Baldock pulled up as he chased a ball down the flank, forcing him off to be replaced by GB Williams.

A flurry of changes on the stroke of half time saw Colclough, Carruthers and then Agard put efforts off target, but the home side started the second brighter, hitting the bar inside two minutes of the restart when Peter Clarke went for the spectacular, but saw his overhead kick hit the frame.

But Dons doubled the lead 10 minutes into the half to give themselves a cushion. Having gone relatively unnoticed for the preceding 55 minutes, Agard got a fine touch on Carruthers' free kick, diverting it into the far corner past a hapless Ripley to double the lead.

He could have had his second 15 minutes later when the ball, somewhat fortunately, made it Reeves on the penalty spot, but after touching it off, Agard's strike struck the bar.

The game fizzled out as a contest after that though. Despite his huffing and puffing, balls over to Maynard were just out of his reach, much to his and his manager's frustration, but it was comfortable final 20 minutes for Robinson's side as they marshalled the game out.

Referee: Jeremy SimpsonAttendance: 3,273 (193)

Oldham: Ripley, Reckford, Burgess (Dunne 46), Flynn, McKay, Ladapo (Osei 69), Dummigan, Fane (Erwin 46), Clarke, McLaughlin, GreenSubs not used: Kettings, Law, Banks, Winchester, OseiMK Dons: Martin, Lewington, Walsh, Downing, Baldock (GB Williams 39), Carruthers, Potter, Colclough (Upson 89), Agard, Reeves (Bowditch 73), MaynardSubs not used: GC Williams, Hendry, Nicholls, Tshimanga

Booked: Baldock, Clarke, Potter, Flynn