REPORT: Scunthorpe 2-1 MK Dons: Madden comes off the bench to win it for Iron

Substitute Paddy Madden came off the bench to bag a brace as MK Dons lost at Glanford Park for the first time in 10 years on Saturday, going down 2-1.

Saturday, 15th October 2016, 5:03 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 9:13 pm
Match report

League 1 leaders Scunthorpe haven't lost at home since December 2015, but were trailing after Kieran Agard tapped in Ben Reeves' cross with eight first half minutes remaining.

But Madden came off the bench on the hour and equalised within four minutes of his introduction after David Martin let Kevin van Veen's strike under him. And he made sure of the points eight minutes from time, stroking home Josh Morris' cross as Dons dropped to 16th in League 1.

With Ed Upson suspended and Ryan Colclough ill, Karl Robinson was forced into making two changes to the side which started against Port Vale a week ago. Nicky Maynard came in up front, shifting Kieran Agard to the right flank and Ben Reeves returned too behind the striker.

It was an opening 10 minutes to forget for Dons keeper David Martin, and one he was lucky to see out without conceding. First, he spilled Duane Holmes' shot inside 90 seconds, allowing the powerful strike to pop up out of his hands and onto the cross bar.

Then he was lucky to remain on the pitch when a long ball forward allowed Tom Hopper in on goal, but Martin was second to it, clattering into the Scunthorpe front man. Incredibly though, the referee waved play on.

It was a difficult opening 20 minutes for the visitors as Scunthorpe controlled the tempo and penned Dons into their own half. But after weathering the storm, Dons began to find their feet. Samir Carruthers was the driving force behind the Dons attacks, but couldn't find the target his side's first decent opening, sending it over the top of Luke Daniels' goal.

Dean Bowditch too had two decent chances, but it was Kieran Agard who would find the net for the visitors eight minutes from the break. Ben Reeves twice was nearly barged off the ball by Scott Wiseman, but managed to get a low ball into the box, and evading everyone, Agard was on hand to tap in at the far post to put Dons into the lead.

The second half was a similar story to the first. The home side were very much the main instigators, leaving Dons to scrap for counter attacks. Defensively, Dons were holding firm in a messy affair, with fouls and possession easily given away.

With nothing doing for the home side, Graham Alexander made a double substitution and it would prove to make the difference as the home side got back on level terms. Bringing on Kevin van Veen and Paddy Madden, the former struck a fierce strike on goal, which squirmed under Martin for Madden to lash home the equaliser four minutes after coming on.

There was a flashpoint with 15 minutes to go when Carruthers collided with Daniels after he spilled a shot from range, knocking the keeper out, prompting both sides into a scuffle. With Daniels forced off, Scunthorpe galvanised and took the lead with nine minutes to go. Breaking down the right flank, Josh Morris pulled the ball back to Madden on the penalty spot to stroke home his second of the afternoon.

Dons in seeking out an equaliser weren't without their chances in the closing stages though, with Reeves bringing an excellent save from substitute Joe Anyon, while Agard was inches away from heading in his second at the far post.

Despite eight minutes of stoppage time, Dons couldn't find another way in and were met with their sixth defeat of the campaign as they slumped to 16th in the table.

Referee: Mark HaywoodAttendance: 4,238

Scunthorpe: Daniels (Anyon 75), Wiseman, Wallace, Mirfin, Dawson, Morris, Bishop, Hopper, Toffolo, Smallwood (van Veen 61), Holmes (Madden 61)Subs not used: Anyon, Mantom, Goode, Townsend, Ness

MK Dons: Martin, Lewington, Walsh, Downing (Tshimanga 90), GB Williams, Carruthers, Potter, Bowditch (Colclough 71), Agard, Reeves (Powell 87), MaynardSubs not used: Nicholls, GC Williams, Hendry, Thomas-Asante