Swans fight back from the brink

No Caption ABCDE ENGPNL00220130925114002
No Caption ABCDE ENGPNL00220130925114002
Share this article

united counties league

Bucks Senior Cup

A quite astonishing final 10 minutes saw Newport Pagnell Town go from 3-1 down with 11 men, to 4-3 up with 10 men as they turned the tide on Holmer Green to go through to the next round of the Bucks Senior Trophy.

After having the better of the early stages Newport fell behind to a well taken Andy Shed opener for Green on 29 minutes.

When Tom Fifield added a 57th minute home second Newport faced an uphill task.

They did get a goal back on the hour, Keith Williams firing home a powerful shot from Dave Baker’s free kick.

Dean Allen restored Holmer Green’s two goal advantage after 77 minutes and a minute later Baker received a straight red.

Ben Shepherd gave ten men Newport hope after 81 minutes. And remarkably they were level through Williams after 88 minutes.

The turnaround was completed three minutes into time added by a Dom Lawless winner for the Swans.

Division 1

Olney Town’s running streak came to an end on Saturday as they went down by the odd goal in five at home to Rothwell Corinthians.

Aaron Watts set the ball rolling for Rothwell with goals after 17 and 25 minutes to put the visitors 2-0 up.

Andy White added a visiting third seven minutes into the second half, converting a spot kick he had won himself to put the game almost out of Olney’s reach.

Sam O’Neill’s penalty two minutes before the hour put the Nurserymen back into the game.

New recruit Tom Van Den Bergh pulled another goal back after 72 minutes but Corinthians held on for all three points despite heavy home pressure.

south midlands league

Challenge Cup

Mursley United and Grendon Rangers were involved in a classic cup tie at Grendon Park on Saturday with an entertaining eight goal thriller in the South Midlands League Challenge Trophy.

Perna started the scoring for Grendon with Mitchell Young equalising two minutes later, then Young hit another on 42 minutes with a well drilled shot into the bottom corner.

Grendon then went on the attack and Andy Prescott broke through the Mursley defence and finished past Purnell in the visitors’ goal, but within a minute of the restart Ben Brill smashed home Mursley’s third.

Then the referee, gave Mitchell Young a straight red for reasons no-one understood, reducing Mursley to 10 men.

Mursley were down to 10 men, but with Wardell and Kissane coming on,it was they who looked the more likely team to score and they duly did as Lea Coulter got behind the Grendon defence and cut the ball back for 17 year old Charlie Attwell to get his well-deserved first goal.

Grendon were not finished and Nathan Perna got on the score sheet from a free kick on 55 minutes.

Coulter wrapped up the game with and excellent shot into the bottom corner on 65 minutes to make it 5-3.

Division 2

New Bradwell St Peter lost ground on runaway leaders Hale Leys United with a 2-2 draw with Totternhoe.

This, teamed with Hale Leys’ 4-0 victory over Old Bradwell means the gap at the top is 12 points.

Wolverton Town shared the points with Brimsdown after a 1-1 draw, while Willen remain bottom after losing 5-1 to Ealing Town.

MK sunday league

Premier League

Caz Bar 5-1 Punjab United

Inter Faith 3-1 Swanfica

Olney Town 2-4 Willen

Open University 3-4 Wolverton Town

The Garage MK 0-4 Stony Stratford Town

Division 1

AFC Santander 5-1 New City Saints

Buckingham United 0-3 Stoke Hammond

Gregory Max FC 3-6 North Western United

Division 2

Milton Keynes City 3-1 Formula Fast

NHBC 4-0 Buckingham United B

Sherington Rovers 2-3 Loughton

Southcott Village 1-10 MK United

Stacey Bushes 1-2 The Nags Head