Walker's brace eases Dons into Papa John's Trophy quarter finals

Northampton Town 0-2 MK Dons

Ste Walker's double sent MK Dons comfortably through to the quarter-finals of the Papa John's Trophy on Tuesday night, beating Northampton 2-0.

His first came on 27 minutes when he neatly lifted home Scott Fraser's through pass, before a penalty seven minutes from time wrapped up the result.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Andrew Surman returned to the side after missing out on Saturday's FA Cup game with Burnley as part of three changes. Joe Mason and Matthew Sorinola also came into the starting line-up, with Ben Gladwin, Cameron Jerome and George Williams dropping out. Ethan Laird was cup-tied.

Having brushed aside Cobblers in their previous meeting in this competition this season, Dons took up where they left off with a dominant opening 45 minutes, marching to the beat of Scott Fraser's drum. The Scot was untouchable in the Dons midfield, sparking everything the visitors did in the attacking third.

But it was Joe Mason who should have opened the scoring on 25 minutes when he was deemed offside after rolling the ball under Jonathan Mitchell, though replays suggest he was on. Dons wouldn't have to wait long before opening the scoring though when Ste Walker got on the end of Fraser's ball through, lifting over the keeper two minutes later.

Mason had a great chance to make it 2-0 before the interval when he brushed aside Joseph Mills, forcing Mitchell into a good low stop.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Northampton struggled to create anything to trouble Lee Nicholls meanwhile, with only a Danny Rose header wide of note.

With the game under Dons' control, the second period was a far more patient affair for Martin's side. Content to frustrate Northampton and make them chase for the majority of the half without really doing much to trouble Mitchell.

Surman was having his best outing in a Dons shirt as he broke down Northampton's infrequent attacks as he acted in the lynch-pin role and was the constant thorn in their side until he was withdrawn with 19 minutes remaining.

Dons did eventually wrap it up with seven minutes to go when substitute Cameron Jerome broke in behind the Northampton defence, but was downed by Cian Bolger for a penalty, which Walker duly converted for his brace and safe passage into the quarter finals.

Referee: Craig Hicks

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Northampton Town: Mitchell, Harriman, Sowerby (Missilou 87), Bolger, Horsfall, Hoskins, Watson, McWilliams, Ashley-Seal (Smith 64), Mills (Chukwuemeka 80), Rose (Korboa 46)

Subs not used: Adams, Berry Dyche

MK Dons: Nicholls, Keogh, Lewington, Poole, Harvie (Davies 89), Sorinola, Surman (Gladwin 71), Sorensen, Fraser (Johnson 80), Walker, Mason (Jerome 71)

Subs not used: Fisher, Jallow, Smith

Booked: Watson