What ever happened to former Dons winger Lewis Guy?

Signed for his pace and trickery out wide, Guy was a regular for Dons for a year

Tuesday, 31st March 2020, 11:21 am
Updated Tuesday, 31st March 2020, 11:22 am
Lewis Guy

Karl Robinson's third signing as new MK Dons boss came in the form of versatile attacker Lewis Guy in the summer of 2010.

Developing his game in the academy at Newcastle, Guy made his professional debut in the UEFA Cup at St James' Park in the 1-1 draw with Sporting Lisbon in December 2004. A loan spell at Doncaster Rovers followed, where three goals in nine appearances earned him a permanent move to the Keepmoat Stadium.

After three solid seasons for Doncaster though, he began to fall out of favour, and after an unsuccessful loan spell at Hartlepool in 2009, went out on loan again to Oldham in 2010. There, he scored his first goals in over two years, netting three times in 12 appearances for the Latics.

Robinson pounced on the opportunity to sign Guy following his release from Doncaster, and he was a regular in the side during the 2010/11 season.

"Everyone I spoke to spoke very highly of this club," Guy said. "When you look at the facilities, the kind of football they play and the ambition around the place, it doesn't need much selling."

He made 41 appearances and netted four goals in a campaign which ended in the play-off semi-finals, losing out to Peterborough.

Despite signing a two-year deal at Stadium MK, Guy was surplus to requirements in his second campaign and was loaned out to Oxford United in August. He returned to Dons in September, but after just a 12-minute cameo against Huddersfield, was loaned back to Oxford before he was released from his contract in January 2012.

After a trial at Scottish side St Mirren, Guy signed a pre-contract agreement to join them in the summer. Despite scoring on his debut, Guy was also sent off in the 2-2 draw with Inverness. After scoring five goals in his first eight games for the Saints, he would only score once more for the SPL side in 27 showings.

Returning to England for 2013/14, Guy joined Carlisle and scored the only goal of the game on his return to Stadium MK as the Cumbrians ran out 1-0 winners. Staying in up north, Guy joined Gateshead for the following season, before spells at Barrow, Chorley and Annan followed before hanging up his boots in 2016.