Chances go begging for MK Thunder

Pic: Claire Stanton
Pic: Claire Stanton

MK Thunder missed a whole host of chances in their double-header with Bracknell Hornets, settling for a draw on Saturday before tasting defeat on Sunday.

Hornets opened the scoring in the third minute when the ever dangerous Peter Jasik was left unmarked in front of Thunders goal. Jaime Randall got Thunder level three minutes later latching on to a Tom Mboya pass to fire past Wride.

In a fast end to end game it was Hornets that scored next, capitalising on another Thunder error as Joshua Smith made it 2-1.

Back came Thunder with Mathias Rugholm and Alex Whyte combining to pull Thunder level again. Jaime Line then put Thunder ahead on a delayed penalty after a Hornets player crosschecked Harrison Goode. Goode suffered a badly cut lip and eventually left the game in the second period and headed to hospital for stitches.

In the frantic first period came to a close Carl Thompson grabbed the equaliser for Hornets so the sides went into the first break level at 3-3.

Bracknell just edged the second period with veteran Danny Hughes scoring the only goal.

The final period followed a similar pattern: end-to-end hockey. Things were beginning to look like Hornets would maintain their narrow 4-3 lead until, with five minutes to go, Tom Castle put Jamie Line through on goal and the Thunder captain calmly beat Wride to level the score again to snatch a late draw for Thunder.

But their hopes of winning the home game were dealt a blow early on when Joshua Smith got put Hornets ahead after just 17 seconds.

The game itself followed a similar pattern to the night before, fast end to end action with some desperate defence form Thunder at times.

The big difference in this game was that it quickly became clear that David Wride, in Hornets goal, was really on his game.

He made some superb saves, some he had no right to make, as Thunder tried everything they could to beat him.

The game turned on its head in the second period. Despite the shots on goal being 15 – 15 for the period, Hornets converted four of those into goals while Wride stopped everything at the other end.

Hornets’ goals came in two bursts, Smith and Daniel Rose scored with a minute shortly after the restart and then Carl Thompson and Rose added the fourth and fifth in less than 10 seconds with five minutes of the period to go.

With Bracknell 5 – 0 up going into the final period Thunder tried everything they could to get back in the game.

The period was cut short with 18 seconds to go when Connor Goode, skating at full speed to get to the puck, crashed into the end boards. Goode suffered a dislocated knee and had to be attended by paramedics, rounding off a dismal weekend.