Familiar name returns to sink Lightning

editorial image

A new Hot Shot Scott is lighting the lamp in British ice hockey - but unfortunately it is not for Milton Keynes Lightning.

Craig Scott, son of former Milton Keynes Kings legend, Paddy, has followed in the footsteps of his dad by switching homeland Canada for England and has signed for Lightning’s fierce rivals, Peterborough Phantoms.

Paddy was a founding member of the first Kings team in 1990 and he went on to terrorise defences up and down the country, becoming known as Hot Shot Scott. Now son Craig is threatening to do the same for Peterborough.

At the weekend he was the difference between success and defeat for Lightning in the pair of pre-season Ashes Challenge Trophy matches against Phantoms.

Scott bagged four of Phantoms nine-goal haul as they finished 9-7 winners on aggregate. After scoring once in the 4-4 tie at MK Arena on Saturday Scott claimed a hat-trick in the next day’s return game.

On Saturday Phantoms edged Lightning by the odd goal at the first break. The deadlock was broken while Bobby Chamberlain was sitting out a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the 14th minute - Milan Baranyk setting up Darius Pliskauskas for a fierce shot which eluded goalie Jordan Marr at 15mins 34secs.

Lightning got back on terms with a Rene Jarolin shot from the narrowest of angles on 28mins 6secs.

But they quickly fell behind again within seconds of a holding call on Lewis Christie - Scott getting the final touch to a blue line blast by Pliskauskas at 29mins 35secs..

Captain Adam Carr set up Lewis Hook to score from inside the blue line after 32mins 29secs.

However the home outfit ended the second session a goal in arrears when Scott’s great pass from the right was turned first time past Marr by Lloyd Gibson with 2mins 54secs to go.

Markku Tahtinen fed Marko Luomala at the right pipe to put Lightning level after 49mins 38secs.

However Phantoms retook the lead less than three minutes later when Baranyk supplied Edgars Bebris at the right post to slide the puck past goalie Jordan Marr at 52mins 24secs.

Home-grown talent Leigh Jamieson saved the day for Lightning on 58mins 1 secs when he took Markku Tahtinen’s pass went up the left to beat Auzins during a moment of confusion in front of the Phantoms net.

On Sunday the visitors stunned Phantoms with two goals in the first three minutes in Peterborough - both from the stick of defenceman David Clements at 1min 48secs and 2mins 57secs - the second a powerplay strike while Scott was on a hooking call.

Tom Norton cut the arrears 5mins 50secs into the second period to beat goalie Dean Skinns for the first time just before Josh Cook set up Luomala for Lightning’s third goal on 26mins 43secs.

That proved to be the last time Lightning would score as Scott and company got to work. It was Scott who grabbed the next goal on 33mins 49secs and he drew Phantoms level 12 seconds before the second break.

A penalty shoot-out seemed to be looming when Baranyk gave Phantoms the lead for the first time in the game at 56mins 18secs and Scott completed his hat-trick with 58 seconds remaining to make it 5-3 on the night - 9-7 on aggregate.

Three days earlier Lightning were narrowly edged out 5-4 in a challenge game at Basingstoke Bison when Hook bagged a hat-trick.

A big travelling contingent saw Lightning put up a tremendous battle in Hampshire before they were eventually downed by a final minute goal from Joe Rand.

New Lightning coach Pete Russell would not have been too unhappy with the result given that the squad comprises 13 newcomers who will need time to gel and that he said before the game that he was more interested on performance than the results of the pre-season games.

After a goalless first session it was Bison who opened their account through a Tomas Karpov assisted goal by Stuart Mogg after 26mins 4secs.

The visitors got back on terms when Rene Jarolin set up Leigh Jamieson - playing on defence this season - to beat new Bison netminder Tomas Hiadlovsky on 37mins 3secs.

Parity lasted only 20 seconds with Ciaran Long putting the hosts back in the driving seat for a 2-1 end of second period score.

Hook banked the first of his markers to tie things up on 42mins 8secs, only for Bison to reply through Ryan Watt after 46mins 26secs.

Lightning hit back with Bobby Chamberlain having first assist on Hook’s second goal at 50mins 52secs.

A tripping penalty on Lewis Christie gave Bison the chance to score through Rand at 52mins 20secs before Hook wrapped up his hat-trick on 54mins 49secs as Marko Luomala got his first point for the club with the assist.

Bison then had the final say through Rand’s goal with 47 seconds remaining. Lightning withdrew goalie Dean Skinns in a bid to level after Watt was called for tripping - giving them a six on three skaters advantage but it was to no avail.