Lightning are becoming comeback kings

Pics: Jez Tibbetts
Pics: Jez Tibbetts

Lightning are fast establishing a reputation as the comeback kings of the English Premier League after scoring three late goals to beat Basingstoke Bison on Sunday.

The previous week they had gone 3-0 behind to Slough Jets before winning 5-3 but then they did not leave their fightback anywhere as late as against Bison when they struck a trio of powerplay goals with just eight minutes remaining.

Bison had taken the lead on the powerplay through Miller after 5mins 18secs - goalie Jordan Hedley making the initial stop but failing to cover the puck.

The home side levelled when Stan Lascek passed to Carlon to push onto to Adam Carr to score at 10mins 42secs.

Bison regained the advantage 5mins 52secs into the second period, Doug Sheppard the provider for Joe Baird who could count himself lucky when his shot hit the pipework and then dropped into the net.

There was no mistake about Bison’s third goal with Miroslav Vantroba supplying Joe Rand to go through and beat Hedley after 37mins 37secs.

At that stage and for most of the third period Bison had control of the score - until Lightning made their incredible run for victory.

Bison’s indiscipline ultimately led to their undoing - a double penalty on Kurt Reynolds and Goalie Dean Skinns, sat by Nick Chinn, allowed MK a five on three advantage from which Janne Jokila set up Tom Carlon to score after 52mins 31secs.

It wasn’t long before Bison defenceman Carl Graham was sent to the penalty box for holding - and Lightning said thanks very much as Michael Farn won the puck to smash it past goalie Dean Skinns from distance to equalise on 54mins 29secs.

No Lightning fan could have dared hope that there team could go on to take victory in regulation time but they did so after Joe Miller was sin binned for slashing.

This time Carlon was the supplier with a pass behind the goal to Jokila who somehow squeezed the puck between Skinns and the right pipe with only 2mins 19secs to go.

Twenty four hours earlier Lightning were shut out for the first time since they lost 2-0 to Manchester Phoenix on December 9 last year as they went down 3-0 at Sheffield Steeldogs.

Lightning fell into arrears when Lubimor Korhon scored the opening goal after 10mins 40secs.

Lightning’s deficit doubled on 35mins 50secs thanks to Elliott’s strike set up by Chambers.

They were finally extinguished with a second Korhon goal, the supplier being Edgars Bebris, on 57mins 24secs to complete the scoring.