Lightning celebrate five wins in a row

Pic: Jez Tibbetts
Pic: Jez Tibbetts

Milton Keynes Lightning completed a second successive maximum points weekend with double success over Swindon Wildcats - both games ending in 6-4 victories.

But on both occasions Nick Poole’s men gave the opposition two goal head starts before fighting back to take the points.

No Caption ABCDE

No Caption ABCDE

At The Link Centre on Saturday they trailed by a pair of goals at the first interval, only to stage an amazing second session comeback with five unanswered strikes.

On Sunday they conceded twice in the first seven minutes before recovering for a 2-2 tally at the initial interval. They then went 3-2 in front only to be 4-3 in arrears after 40 minutes. Three goals in the final session were needed to see them home.

Lightning found the going tough early on in their second visit to the Link Centre.

They failed to make the most of a couple of early powerplays and they went behind after 15mins 12secs.

No Caption ABCDE

No Caption ABCDE

Sam Bullas got the puck in the net from close range.

Ross Green was sin binned for holding and Aku Pekkarinen converted on the powerplay after 18mins 52secs.

It took Lightning only 25secs after the restart to get a goal back as Adam Carr set up for Stan Lascek to send past goalie Stevie Lyle.

Lightning struck again when Janne Jokila hit the target on 24mins 23secs - Leigh Jamieson the provider.

Nick Poole’s men went in front when Carr beat Lyle with a Michael Farn pass after 30mins 35secs.

Wildcats were soon trailing by two goals after Sam Smith was given two minutes for hooking. Blaz Emersic put Tom Carlon away to score Lightning’s fourth goal after 33mins 56secs.

Carlon was the scorer again three minutes later at 36mins 32secs.

Betteridge gave Swindon a glimmer of a chance with his goal on 48mins 50secs to make it 5-3 before a tense final few minutes ensued after Jonas Hoog added a fourth for the hosts at 50mins 19secs.

However Emersic stepped up to ease their worries with the goal on 54mins 13secs that decided the outcome of the game.

The next day Hoog struck first from close range after 3mins 58secs and Wall was caught out again after 6mins 18secs to double the lead.

A powerplay gave Lightning the opportunity to pull one back with Emersic’s goal bound effort being deflected into the net off Farn’s stick at 14mins 53secs and just over a minute later, at 16mins 7secs the hosts enjoyed a stroke of luck when Jamieson blasted the puck towards the goal only for it to rebound. Unfortunately for Wildcats their own player, Ollie Betteridge, got in the way and put it in his own net.

The home side started the better of the two sides after the break and they were rewarded with a Jordan Cownie goal after 25mins 25secs - thanks to Lyle’s decision to go walkabout, thus presenting the scorer with an empty net.

Two goals from Wildcats’ coach, Aldridge and Ryan Watt, at 33mins 36secs and 37mins 32secs, restored the opposition’s lead at the next break.

They had to wait until 48mins 46secs for the leveller - incredibly it was down to a Wildcats player putting through his own goal again. Cownie took the credit for his second of the game.

A super pass from behind the net by Lascek was smashed, first time, past Lyle by Grant McPherson after 52mins 58secs.

Any hope Wildcats had of a late equaliser were dashed when Lascek sent Carlon away for a one on one with Lyle, sending the keeper the wrong way and slotting in the sixth goal on 57mins 51secs.