Lightning shot down by Flames

Leigh Jamieson. Pic: Jez Tibbetts
Leigh Jamieson. Pic: Jez Tibbetts

Milton Keynes Lightning’s hopes of a double winning start to their league and cup campaign were ruined by Guildford Flames on Sunday who struck three times in less than nine minutes.

Despite scoring first Lightning, who had won 7-1 at Wightlink Raiders the previous evening, went down 5-3 to Flames in Surrey- the game counting for both league and cup group points.

On Saturday Lightning proved too strong for National League outfit Wightlink Raiders in the English Challenge Cup.

After a 1-1 first period it was all one way traffic in the visitors’ favour in the second period as they scored six unanswered goals on the tiny Ryde ice pad.

Lightning got off the mark on 9mins 6secs when Leigh Jamieson set up Blaz Emersic to score.

The hosts got their only goal 3mins 17secs from the break through Alex Barker.

A Jordan Cownie shot which hit the bar showed Lightning’s intentions from the start of the second session. And it was not long before they went ahead again after capitalising on a powerplay resulting from a tripping call on Steven Balmer. Emersic was the provider for Jamieson at 24mins 5secs.

Just 1min 10secs later a Grant McPherson supplied goal for Lewis Hook extended the lead - and prompted a Wightlink timeout.

It proved to be of no avail through as Adam Carr made it 4-1 at 30mins 3secs - Tom Carlon and Petr Horava getting the assists.

Any hope Raiders had of a comeback were demolished by Carlon’s strike on 31mins 51secs with Carr and Lewis Christie credited with the assists.

The visitors struck swiftly early in the third session when Hook was the provider for Jordan Cownie two minutes 16 seconds after the restart.

Lightning were by now well in control with no real threat posed by Wightlink.

The next day McPherson got the city side off the mark at the Spectrum Centre, registering from Lascek’s assist on 9mins 49secs. But the lead did not last long with David Longstaff hitting back on the powerplay exactly two minutes later.

When Jamieson was penalised for slashing in the 23rd minute Flames were able to capitalise thanks to Branislav Kvetan.

The home outfit then extended their lead at 28mins 53secs through Marcus Kristofferson before Ben Campbell beat goalie Stephen Wall for the fourth goal at 32mins 40secs.

Lightning’s task was not helped as Jamieson was handed a five plus game penalty seconds before the next interval - Flames’ Andy McKinney receiving a match penalty at the same time.

Within 42 seconds the start of the final session Curtis Huppe had the puck in the net to make it 5-1.

Lightning failed to take advantage of a two minute penalty for hooking on Ollie Bronnimann but they did stage a late rally which resulted in Horava supplying Milan Kostourek for the team’s second goal on 52mins 6secs.

With 2mins 32secs remaining Lewis Hook was the provider for man of the match Lascek to give the final score some respectability as he fired home to make it 5-3.