Lightning sting the Bees but go down to Flames

editorial image

Lightning saw off anchor team Bracknell Bees in style on Saturday with an 8-4 victory, a score which flattered the visitors.

But in what has become the norm this season they were unable to follow it up with another win the following day as they slipped to a 6-4 loss at second in the table Guildford Flames - leaving Lightning still in eighth place in the English Premier League.

On Saturday the hosts were good value for their win, the only complaint being that a couple of Bees goals were down to sloppy defending resulting in a slightly unreal scoreline.

The hosts went in after 7mins 21secs when Milan Kostourek set up Marek Curilla from behind the net to beat netminder Tom Annetts.

They doubled their lead while Bees’ Scott Spearing was in the sin bin for hooking - Cownie passing from the right for Ross Bowers to edge the puck on to Hook to score at 11mins 24secs.

Less than three minutes later as Petr Horava put Kostourek away up the left. - He crossed for captain Adam Carr to register on 13mins 47secs.

The visitors fought back early in the second session with Lukas Smital given too much space to plant the puck over the right hand shoulder of goalie Jordan Hedley on 24mins 35secs.

Smital netted his and Bees’ second goal, unassisted, after 27mins 11secs to make it 3-2.

Lightning then stepped up the gas to extend the gap again with Curilla feeding Kostourek for a power blast which gave Annetts no chance at 32mins 54secs.

It became 5-2 when Michael Farn drove to the net for Cownie to show incredible magic with a shot scored on the turn at 35mins 32secs before Kostourek supplied by Horava and Curilla established a 6-2 lead on 35mins 59secs.

Radek Hubacek hit Bees’ third and give them a glimmer of hope at 36mins 49secs.

The first half of the final session went goalless before Lightning were given a powerplay opportunity - Ilya Antonov sin binned for tripping - allowing Kostourek to complete his hat-trick on 52mins 48secs.

Moments later Petr Horava who was given five minutes plus game for a check to the head of James Galazzi but that did not stop Carr rounding off Lightning’s tally with 1min 40secs left as he collected Hook’s pass from the left before Spearing, supplied by Smital, made it 8-4 at 59mins 12secs

Flames inflicted defeat on Lightning for the third time this season - despite Nick Poole’s men taking an early lead at the Spectrum Centre.

Blaz Emersic struck from Lewis Hook and Jordan Cownie after only 4mins 16secs but by the 12th minute it was the hosts who were ahead - Jozef Kohut was the provider for Tom Duggan to defeat goalie Stephen Wall at 11mins 9secs.

When Ross Green was penalised for hooking seconds later Flames did not take long to capitalise on the powerplay. Veteran David Longstaff created the chance for David Savage to put away on 11mins 57secs.

There was a brief moment of joy for Lightning with Michael Farn getting the assist on Marek Curilla’s equaliser at 14mins 57secs. But it was the Surrey side who went into the first break with a one goal lead, thanks to Andy McKinney’s striker exactly three minutes later.

Lightning refused to give in though and Hook was the provider for Ross Bowers to equalise at 27mins 57secs.

Flames then punished a two minute hooking penalty on Grant McPherson in swift style with Kohut on the mark at 28mins 53secs.

By the second break Flames had extended the lead to two goals with Lundin setting up Matt Towe to beat Wall for a fourth time on 38mins 38secs.

An unassisted Kostourek marker at 44mins 56secs gave Lightning just the start they wanted to mount a third period comeback campaign.

But it was all they could manage and when Wall was withdrawn for the extra skater in the dying seconds, Flames swiftly found the empty net for their sixth goal at 59mins 38secs - Longstaff inflicting the damage.