Scott comes back to haunt Lightning

editorial image

MK Lightning crashed out of the English Premier League Cup when they were beaten 3-0 by arch rivals Peterborough Phantoms at Bretton on Wednesday.

And it was the son of a former Milton Keynes legend who did the damage with a hat-trick to steer Phantoms to the second leg victory and ensure a 6-3 aggregate score.

Craig Scott whose dad, Paddy, was a goal scoring hero for the former MK Kings in the 1990s, scored an early marker and then added two more in the final period.

It means that Lightning will have to wait another season for the chance to win the one trophy that has eluded them in their 13 year history.

But they could have no complaints as they were second best to Phantoms for much of the game.

The visitors’ cause wasn’t helped by the absence of captain Adam Carr and the still injured Martti Jarventie but welcomed back James Griffin from suspension. It was Griffin who took over the captaincy while Grant McPherson, recently back to fitness after injury, filled Carr’s spot on the third line with Glenn Billing and Jack Watkins.

It was Phantoms’ second goal, scored in controversial circumstances that proved to be Lightning’s downfall. Referee Paul Brooks blew his whistle before the shot went in with goalie Dean Skinns appearing to have the puck and thinking that play had stopped. However Brooks allowed the goal to stand.

Frankie Bakrlik had an early powerful effort blocked before Scott, assisted by Milan Baranyk and Marc Levers, beat Skinns on 3mins 18secs.

Michael Farn was unsuccessful with a long range blast as he sought to get his team back on terms midway through the first session.

When Edgars Bebris was given a two minute penalty for hooking in the 12th minute Blaz Emersic had a shot range attempt stopped by goalie Janis Auzins while a Jordan Cownie shot was also unsuccessful.

Phantoms had a man advantage as Markku Tahtinen was sin binned for slashing but no goal resulted and the first period ended 1-0 to the home outfit – Lightning outshot 13-8.

Pete Russell’s men suffered an early penalty in the middle stanza with Griffin called for boarding but Phantoms were prevented from adding to their tally.

Soon after both teams were reduced to four skaters with Levers give two minutes for roughing and his opponent, Bobby Chamberlain serving time for holding. An unproductive powerplay followed for Lightning when Will Weldon went for holding.

The travellers survived a further penalty spell ahead of both sides being down to four skaters each with Baranyk (tripping) and Emersic (charging) in the sin bin at the same time.

Despite all that the score remained 1-0 to Phantoms at the second break.

It was a similar story in the third session with further penalties – this time Martins Susters was penalised for charging but still Lightning couldn’t find a way through.

It proved to be costly moments later when Baranyk and Levers were again the suppliers for Scott to add his second goal at 45mins 42secs.

Any thoughts of a late Lighting surge were ended five minutes later as Scott completed his hat-trick with a goal assisted by Ales Padelek on 50mins 54secs.

Russell called a 54th minute timeout but it was to no avail – Skinns being pulled for the extra skater in the 57th minute.

The game ended in ill-feeling with both benches being dished out 10 minute misconduct penalties at the death on what was a disappointing night and performance for Lightning.