Semi finals await for Lightning

Ice hockey action from Phantoms v Milton Keynes Lightning'Erik Piatak
Ice hockey action from Phantoms v Milton Keynes Lightning'Erik Piatak
Share this article

Lightning qualified for the semi finals of the English Premier League Cup after seeing off old rivals Peterborough Phantoms by an 8-4 margin in Cambridgeshire on Sunday.

The win was largely due to a scintillating second period when Lightning scored five times with no answer from the hosts. It was a miserable weekend for Phantoms who had lost 6-0 the previous night.

Once more though, as so often this season, Lightning conceded the first goal when Frantisek Zubek scored from Lewis Hook’s pass after only 1min 59secs.

Lightning equalised thanks to a holding penalty on Declan Balmer which allowed them the extra man and man of the match Janne Jokila turned provider for Michael Farn to score at 5mins 48secs.

Phantoms hit the net again after a penalty on Lewis Christie had finished with Will Weldon making the pass for Marcel Petran on 16mins 3secs.

Jokila, from Tom Carlon, made it 2-2 at 19mins 20secs.

Lightning’s second period scoring started with a Carlon goal on the powerplay after 22mins 38secs.

Stan Lascek netted on 29mins 20secs with another powerplay goal – the assist going to Leigh Jamieson.

Grant McPherson made it 5-2 23 seconds after, resulting in a Phantoms timeout and the replacement of goalie Damien King with Tom Murdy.

But Lightning hit two more goals before the next buzzer. The first saw Jokila scoring his second of the night after 36mins 27secs.

Phantoms were still reeling from that goal when on 37mins 10secs Lascek supplied Adam Carr to score for a 7-2 lead to Lightning.

Peterborough came back a little in the third with Tom Soar scoring 2mins 41secs after the restart before Luke Ferrara struck on the powerplay at 51mins 38secs.

However it was Lightning who scored their eighth as Lascek set up Carr to net short-handed after 56mins 17secs.

It was the second success on the bounce for Lightning, after beating Telford Tigers 3-0 last Wednesday night.

Michael Farn fired Lightning ahead at the Skydome after 5mins 9secs.

Ross Bowers made it 2-0 from Jordan Cownie’s set up after 13mins 58secs.

Tigers barely threatened Lightning stopper Stephen Wall, but he made a string of good stops before Tom Carlon slotted home a decisive third with 18 seconds remaining.