Telford upset the record books to win at Planet Ice

editorial image

Lightning suffered a disappointing weekend as they took only one point out of a possible four.

After being stunned by a 5-4 defeat by bottom of the table Telford Tigers they looked on course to bounce back with a determined fightback at Manchester Phoenix, only to lose out on penalty shots.

It was only the fifth time Telford – as Tigers and their predecessors, Wild Foxes - had beaten Lightning in more than 50 meetings - their first a Planet Ice since January 2006.

There could be no complaints from the home outfit who were beaten by a side that for long periods looked hungrier.

Once more in seeking more productive line player coach Nick Poole switched the lines around with Nick Chinn on the first line with Blaz Emersic and Adam Calder and Leigh Jamieson partnering Adam Carr and Poole on the second.

A harsh call on Nick Poole for interference led to the opening goal on 14mins 41secs.

Captain Carr intercepted a Telford attack in the neutral zone and broke away to unleash a bullet shot from inside the blue line.

At the start of the second session, Telford had a ‘goal’ washed out in the opening minute. Referee Tim Pickett at first awarded the goal but after consultation with his fellow officials disallowing the effort.

But Telford’s equaliser was perfectly valid - coming on the powerplay after Chris Wiggins was penalised roughing.

Carr lost possession to Tom Watkins who fed James Preece to break away and beat Wall after 23mins 4secs.

The hosts regained the two goal advantage when Lewis Christie supplied Calder to beat Ryan at 23mins 53secs.

When Chinn supplied Calder for a wrap around goal to put the side 3-1 in front at 26mins 19secs it looked as the home side would take control.

But almost immediately Telford replied with a Tim Burrows goal after 27mins 21secs.

Another Wiggins penalty for slashing led to MK’s fourth goal. Jamieson held up the puck in the neutral zone before supplying Carr for a rocket shot on 38mins 40secs - another short handed goal.

Telford drew cut the gap to one just 21 seconds before the break when man of the match, Burrows beat Wall.

The goal sparked Telford into renewed efforts at the start of the third and they were rewarded with the equaliser from Callum Bowley on the powerplay at 44mins 17secs.

The winning goal – a debut one by Elliott Knell at 50mins 15secs finally spurred the home team into determined action but it was all too late.

On Sunday Lightning suffered heartbreak with a penalty shoot out loss at table topping Manchester Phoenix after twice coming from behind to force overtime at Altrincham.

Poole’s men had an early blow when, already trailing to a Richard Bentham goal, Dan Harris went off injured in the eighth minute following a check to the head by Ciaran Long who received a five minutes plus match penalty for the offence.

McKinney and Grant McPherson clashed at the time of Long’s incident and a result the MK man spent the next 10 minutes in the sin bin with a prolonged penalty for instigating the fight.

It took until 34mins 41secs for MK to find a way back into the game when Carr was the supplier for man of the match Jamieson to register.

They did regain the lead after 48mins 20secs with McKinney claiming his second from Scott McKenzie to earn Manchester’s man of the match award.

A powerplay resulting from a holding call on Ondrej Pozivil allowed Lightning to finally score with a man advantage – Carr finishing off a move also involving Poole and Jamieson at 54mins 9secs.

With no further score in regulation or overtime it was down to penalty shots – the only converted shot coming from Michal Psurny with MK failing to net any of their three efforts.

It was a disappointing end to a spirited display in which MK did at least take a valuable point.