Is this the end for Mitchell?

PAUL Mitchell could have played his last game for MK Dons after breaking his leg in the 2-2 draw at Notts County, and boss Martin Allen admitted: "It's a very serious injury."

The 25-year-old midfielder – whose Dons contract expires in the summer – had his left leg broken just above the ankle by a crunching tackle from County centre-half Stephen Hunt shortly before half-time on Saturday.

Hunt compounded the Dons misery by equalising in the 90th minute after Jay Smith's penalty had started County's fightback from 2-0 down, following early goals from Lloyd Dyer and Dean Lewington at Meadow Lane.

Mitchell – who had arguably been in the best form of his

career – is out for the rest of this season and is expected to miss most of next term too.

And after visiting Mitchell at Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham, where he is awaiting an operation, Allen admitted: "Mitch has a very serious injury, which is a real big blow.

"Without going into too much detail at this moment in time there are other complications.

"All my players are like members of my family and as a club we will do everything we can to ensure he has the very best

consultant to do the operation.

"He will be in hospital for between seven to 10 days."

The Dons' boss was furious with the tackle that broke Mitchell's leg but he decided not to air his feelings publicly.

Allen said: "I'll keep my thoughts on the challenge to

myself because it only ever costs me money.

"The referee chose not to book the player but if you were here you will understand why I'm making no comment.

"Mitch's injury was particularly disappointing because he was playing very well."

Dons' 20-goal top scorer Izale McLeod made a sparkling return from his five-match ban in the game and Allen added: "I thought Izale looked lively, he is always getting in behind and he has great energy.

"He played well and it is good to have him back. It was an

absolutely brilliant pass for Lloyd Dyer's goal - real top quality play."