Bletchley are still unbeaten


Bletchley’s unbeaten start to the season continued on Saturday with a fine 29-13 victory over Alchester at Manor Fields.

Stuart van Rooyen’s men are already three points clear of Milton Keynes in the Southern Counties North Division, albeit still in the early stages.

Bletchley forced an early turnover and made the most of the possession to take an early lead through Adam Griffiths after eight minutes.

The try came as a result of patient build up through the backs as George Harman neatly off-loaded to Griffiths to touch down out wide.

Steve Allen almost doubled the try count for Bletchley after an excellent break from halfway. Despite coming close, the Alchester defence scrambled well and were rewarded with a penalty from the referee, allowing them to clear their lines.

Phil Harman was held up to prevent Bletchley doubling their lead 20 minutes later, but Matt Nobes got the final touch as the pack eventually powered over the Alchester line to put the home side 10-0 up.

Alchester maintained possession from the restart and had a good opportunity to narrow the deficit.

However, a poor pass in the centre gave Bletchley the chance to kick the ball clear up the pitch.

A brilliant pick up from Harman of his boot laces followed by a neat offload behind him gave Kev Turnbull space to exploit on the right wing.

As Turnbull drew the last defender, he passed to Dan Read who neatly skipped down his wing before cutting in to score under the posts. Phil Harman slotted the conversion kick to give Bletchley a 17-0 lead.

An Alchester penalty reduced the deficit, but Bletchley took the 17-3 advantage in at half time.

The visitors caught the home side cold two minutes after the restart as they crashed over, before George Harman set up Griffiths for his second try of the afternoon, and giving Bletchley a bonus point.

Despite the 24-8 scoreline, Alchester refused to let their heads drop and added another try with 16 minutes to go.

But Bletchley continued to play with determination and eventually this was rewarded when Adam Dempsey picked up the ball from a ruck and dived over the bodies on the deck to score the final points of the game as Bletchley won 29-13.

Next up for Bletchley is a trip to third place Aylesbury.

They are separated by MK who climbed to second place after picking up a magnificent 41-20 win over recently relegated Wycombe.

The first 10 minutes of the game were evenly matched with both sides testing the opposition defence.

The first score went to Milton Keynes with Dan Rolfe powering his way over the Wycombe line.

Man of the match Phil Powell off-loaded the ball in the tackle allowing Dave Matthews to go over the line. With the conversion MK were 14 -0 up.

Wycombe, who started the day in second, fought back though with a penalty to close the gap.

City responded quickly though, with the backs able to break Wycombe tackles and putting 11 points between the two sides.

Further scores from Dan Rolfe and another from Matthews extended MK’s advantage by the half hour mark.

The home side scored a converted try but went in 26-10 down at the break.

City weren’t going to relinquish control though, as Ollie Fountain went over for the next try after good work from the backs.

With a comfortable lead of 33-10, City had a lapse of concentration and allowed the Wycombe full back to run half the length of the field before passing the ball to their winger to score in the corner.

Wycombe scored a further try from an MK 5 metre scrum giving the home side 20 points. City were beginning to feel the pressure with 20 minutes remaining.

The game was sealed with just minutes to go when Lasbrey received a ball from the line out and forced his way over the try line.

The final result was 20 - 41, a surprise to both teams and spectators.

Swindon College visit The Valley next Saturday, a team who have yet to win a game and sit bottom of the league.

In Midlands 2 East South though, Olney remain rock bottom and without a win as they tasted defeat again against Lutterworth.

The visitors took the lead after 10 minutes, driving over from a scrum close to the Olney try line .

Olney fought back to take the lead though, as Will Edwards, coming on to the ball at pace, fed Jordan Letts to break through and touch down under the posts. Stuart Livesey added the extra points for Olney to go 7-5 in front after 14 minutes.

Another Lutterworth score though put them back in the lead at half time, 12-7.

Play was continually interrupted for scrums and penalties, much to the dismay of the supporters from both sides.

Olney were unfortunate to be reduced to fourteen men, when Steve Harrison was shown the yellow card.

The reduction in numbers turned the tide in favour of the opposition and put Olney on the back foot as they conceded again, with the gap now 10 points between the sides.

It was a game of damage limitation as Lutterworth attacked Olney’s right flank.

They made a number of attempts to force over, through their forwards, but capitalised to drive the ball over the goal line. The try was not converted but it was enough to wrap up a 22-7 win.