Bletchley battle for the bragging rights

MK and Bletchley do battle. Pic: Tom Blackman
MK and Bletchley do battle. Pic: Tom Blackman

The season may only have kicked off on Saturday, but local bragging rights have already gone the way of Bletchley as they locked horns with Milton Keynes in the curtain raiser.

Bletchley, new to the league after suffering relegation last term, started on the front foot at Manor Fields and dominated the opening 10 minutes without scoring.

MK actually had the better of the chances in the opening stages though, as Phil Powell had an opportunity with a penalty kick which just went wide of the posts.

Just 10 minutes later Ollie Fountain burst through the Bletchley defence after some good work by the City forwards and backs. The referee deemed the ball not to have been grounded and the opportunity was lost.

The game had evened out half way through the first half and it looked as though there would be no score by half time.

Matt Styles received a yellow card close to the end of the first half. Bletchley increased the pressure and despite sterling MK defence Bletchley finally broke the deadlock and scored with five minutes of the first half remaining.

In their efforts to score MK gave a wide and loose pass which was intercepted by a Bletchley player. The first half ended with Bletchley 10 point in the lead.

Ten minutes into the second half, Dan Pearson scored a superb try to bring MK right back into the contest.

Bletchley cleared the ball from the 22 metre line, but the ball popped up nicely for Ashley Target who started a counter attack. The ball reaches Dan Pearson who chipped his opposite winger, receiving the kick at the other end. Following a further kick and rush Pearson coolly collected the ball to score in the corner.

The Bletchley pack was considerably heavier than City’s and midway through the second half the MK defensive scrum faltered allowing Bletchley a push over try.

Despite the score of 17 - 5 City didn’t give up as Bletchley’s lack of fitness began to show in the last 20 minutes of the match.

Some good possession by the visitors resulted in a good cross kick from Powell. This was gathered by Pearson who dived over for his second try of the afternoon

Soon after, Powell converted a penalty. With 10 minutes to go it looked as though City could surprise the home team.

But with the last episode of play Bletchley were awarded a penalty which was converted giving a final score of 20-13.

City have a home match against newly promoted Drifters on Saturday, who are likely to present the forwards with a much easier afternoon than they did at Manor Fields.

Bletchley meanwhile will travel to take on Thatcham, who were 34-24 winners against Aylesbury in their first match of the season.