City hand out beating to Hungerford

Rugby ENGPNL00220130924110916
Rugby ENGPNL00220130924110916

Milton Keynes crushed Hungerford 69-0 to keep up with the pace at the top of Bucks, Berks and Oxon Premier League.

City are just a point behind Gosford All Blacks, with both undefeated this season.

Early on in the season MK played Hungerford at home in a keenly contested match that ended in an MK victory 27-20. Since then Hungerford have not had a great season while MK push on with their title hopes and as a consequence the two teams were opposite ends of the table.

City started strongly in what became a bit of a one way contest with MK playing the better rugby and attacking Hungerford at every opportunity. City pressed hard, but it took a while for them to score the first points of the afternoon which came from some phased play which ended with a pass to winger Michael Dean who beat 2 players to cross the line and score an unconverted try to lead 5-0.

This was followed by some good team work and support play from the backs for Nathan Thomas to cross the line and score the second unconverted try, doubling the lead to 10-0.

Hard work from the MK forwards kept the pressure on Hungerford and after a good scrum, MK worked some phased play resulting in a score for outside centre Andy Poole. Dean converted to kick City into a 17-0 lead.

Scores continued in the first half with captain Ben Fisher crashing over for another try with a conversion from Dean to make it 24-0.

It was followed by another forward Michael Fitzgerald scoring a try, converted Dean 31-0. This was followed by a great individual try from fly half Lachlan Kerr, converted by fullback Brian Purcell to leave the score at half time 38-0.

MK continued to press their advantage in the second half with a score from number eight Dan Rolfe (unconverted) 43-0. This was followed by another try from winger Dan Pearson which was converted by Purcell to bring up the 50.

Thomas scored the next try, which was converted by Purcell 57-0, after some good handling and interplay from the backs.

Pearson crossed the line for his second pushing the score on to 62-0, the final try of the afternoon came from Michael Fitzgerald which was converted by Dean to give MK a strong win 69-0.