City record first victory of the season


Milton Keynes Rugby Club bounced back after their opening day defeat to Bletchley to thump Drifters 37-11.

It was a scrappy affair though, and City are perhaps flattered by the final scoreline, with Drifters missing some key tackles to allow the home side to take more of an advantage.

Fifteen minutes into the match and both sides had exchanged penalties which were duly converted by the kickers.

City were able to add to this after a period of good possession in the Drifter’s half. A penalty was taken quickly and Ollie Fountain received the ball and made it over the try line.

Drifters were soon back in contention with a penalty making the score 8-6 to City.

As the match approached half time, City were piling on the pressure with a number of scrummages taking place on the Drifters five metre line. Despite the pressure the visitors defended well and wouldn’t allow MK over their try line. With just seconds to go though, the pressure finally paid off as scrum half Rob Lasbrey picked the ball up from a scrappy scrum to go over the line.

From the start of the second half City were again in control. Not short of the halfway line Ollie Fountain received the ball and with one of his characteristic runs burst through a number of Drifters tackles to make it over the try line.

A good conversion kick from the touch line from captain Phil Powell made the score 22-6.

Within five minutes, there was a similar score on the opposite side of the pitch. Andy Poole managed to score with the first touch of the ball having come on as a replacement. Rob Matthews had made a good break and the pass to Poole gave him the chance to show his power and pace by breaking through the Drifters defence.

The City pack struggled in the scrums at times. This was shown half an hour into the second half when Drifters shoved the home team back, resulting in a try for the visitors.

Fountain got his name on the score sheet again with just a few minutes of the match to go. This followed a good period of play with the ball being dispersed between the forwards and backs. Dan Pearson who had taken over as scrum half made a good break and Ollie Fountain received to ball for his second try to wrap up the victory in style.

City were satisfied with the first win of the season. There remain areas that need to improve if they are to push for promotion and face a greater test next Saturday when they visit High Wycombe who are one place above City in second place.