Five wins in a row for City

editorial image

Milton Keynes continue to top the Southern Counties North League with a convincing 48-19 victory over Wooton Bassett.

It was City’s strong running which Wooton Bassett couldn’t deal with allowing the backs in particular to break through their defence.

City were on the score board within 3 minutes of the match starting. Ollie Fountain started the attack on the left wing, passing the ball to Rob Matthews who moved the ball on to Kieran McConnell for an easy try. With the conversion City were 7-0 up.

Phil Powell moved the score on after 15 minutes with a penalty conversion.

With Milton Keynes having the majority of the possession Wooton Bassett struggled to defend and some lax tackling allowed Phil Powell to break through the centre. With 15 metres to go he popped the ball to Stuart Tomkinson who scored under the posts. The conversion made it 17 - 0 with half an hour gone.

Wooton Bassett finally managed a score with a breakaway try close to half time. Without the conversion the visitors had just 5 points on the board.

In retaliation, the home side scored within a minute of the kick off after Phil Powell made a break down the left wing passing three Wooton Bassett players. Ollie Fountain received the ball for an easy try under the posts.

Dan Pearson came on as replacement at the start of the second half. He quickly made an impact on the right wing avoiding the Wooton Bassett defence and scoring under the posts. With just a few minutes gone in the second half the score was 31-5.

There was some good handling amongst both the forwards and backs but this became overly ambitious and with one pass going astray Wooton Bassett’s centre was able to intercept and score an easy try under the City posts.

But David Brown was the next to score after a further period of good handling having come on as replacement for the second half.

Soon after City were again on the scoreboard. A speculative kick from captain Phil Powell from the City 22 metre line bounced nicely for Rob Matthews who was following up the kick. The bounce evaded the Wooton Bassett full back only to fall into Mathew’s hands to score between the posts.

With 10 minutes to go City sat back on their lead allowing Wooton Bassett to have a period of possession. This resulted in City’s lack of concentration and a number of missed tackles giving the visitors a consolation try close to the end of the game.

Ollie Fountain received a yellow card soon after the Wooton Bassett score. Despite City playing with 14 men they had the last say with a final score by Ash Target following another good break by Dan Pearson.

Milton Keynes remain on top of the league with Bletchley hot on their heels just one point behind. City have an away match at Stow on the Wold, who have won four of six, next Saturday.