Late score downs Olney

Olney RFC. Pic: Steve Draper
Olney RFC. Pic: Steve Draper

Olney were narrowly edged out of a thrilling encounter with Northampton Old Scouts on Saturday, losing out by 23-20.

They kicked off following a downpour that fortunately ceased as play commenced. The rain however had made for slippery conditions underfoot and difficult handling.

The first scoring opportunity came when Scouts were awarded a penalty for an Olney forward going over the top in a ruck on the home side’s 22. Scout’s number 10 made no mistake and the visitors took a 3-0 lead after 10 minutes.

Olney were level three minutes through the boot of Jordan Letts.

But Old Scouts were the first to cross the line, and retook the lead 10-3.

That situation was short lived, the restart kick was fielded well by Robbie Edwards for Olney. He linked up with the threes and Cameron Keenan fed winger James Hannah who rounded the Scout’s defence to score under the posts. Jordan Letts kicked the goal and levelled the scores at 10-10.

Olney then took the lead for the first time as James Hannah went over for a try in the corner. Jordan Letts kicked the extras to put Olney 17-10 up.

But Scouts didn’t stop there, and when the forwards won the ball and drove for the line, Olney managed to hold up the ball conceding a scrum. From the scrum the visitor’s forced the ball over the line for a try, unconverted, but closing the gap to 17-15.

Olney used the kick off to put play into Scout’s territory and following a series of scrums Olney took one against the head. The ball was shipped quickly to Letts at ‘10’ who added to his tally with a well struck drop goal, to make it 20-15 to Olney after 35 minutes.

Scouts added to their tally with a successful kick to goal from a penalty. Their number 10 taking the score to 20 - 18 at half time.

The second half was far less entertaining for the fans though. The visitors claimed the majority of the possession with Olney attempting to work the touch line, a ploy that was lacking in the absence of appropriate technique.

The breakthrough came after 28 of the second half minutes when Olney failed to defend a loose ball in their 22.

This was a gift for the Scout’s left wing to pick up and touch down for a try that was not converted but edged them in front 20-23.

Olney tried to open up play in the closing minutes but it was too little too late as Scouts ran out winners.