Olney lose on the first day of the season

Leighton Buzzard vs Olney. Pic: Steve Draper
Leighton Buzzard vs Olney. Pic: Steve Draper

Olney made the short trip in to Bedfordshire for their first game in the Midlands 2 East South division, but came home with nothing to show for their efforts against a strong Leighton Buzzard side.

The formidable Buzzards pack made their mark early on in what was a scrappy start to the match.

Jack Whitehouse kicked Leighton into the lead, before a good move from the backs lead to a good exchange of passes allowing Dan David to cross the line for the opening try.

Despite the error and penalty count against them, Leighton continued to mount pressure and after 25 minutes, returning back row Frank Hawkins scored the second try.

Ryan Fraser added the third on 36 minutes, with Whitehouse converting.

Right on the point of half time, slick handling by the backs saw Ollie Taylor go in at the corner securing the bonus point for the Buzzards as they took in a 25-0 lead to the interval.

Playing down the slope in the second half, Olney looked to move the ball to their wings where Cameron Keenan and Will Edwards both looked dangerous with the ball in hand.

The visitors were able to put in some attacking phases and their scrum looked much more effective.

Buzzards were in no mood to let Olney take the advantage and were awarded a scrum following a forward pass. Lock and captain Ryan Fraser forced over the line for an unconverted try to extend the lead to 30-0.

Eventually a score came when Paddy Leahy managed to squeeze round the defence and touchdown to put Olney on the scoreboard at 30-5.

The Olney revival received a further set back after they were awarded a free kick for a crooked feed into the scrum, but the ball went loose and Taylor raced clear to score again.

Following the restart with a penalty awarded to Olney for an offence after the try, the visitors were awarded a penalty for offside just outside the home 22. They ran the ball and fed to Will Parkin, on as a sub for Will Edwards, at standoff. He placed a perfect chip over the top for Jordan Letts to gather and run in under the posts. Stuart Livesy added the conversion.

The final score read 35-12 to Leighton Buzzard.

Olney take on Lutterworth at the Recreation Ground next Saturday.