Olney overpowered by strong Lutterworth side


Olney slipped to a disappointing home defeat at the hands of Lutterworth, going down 22-7 at the Recreation Ground.

Interruptions were frequent, with the visitors and the home side being penalised three to two in favour of Olney and the scrum infringements being shared equally.

For the home side, as last week the most likely chance of opening the scoring was from their wing three-quarters, Will Edwards and Cameron Keenan. For the visitors their danger man was their number nine. The first score of the game came from a scrum on Olney’s 10 metre line, Lutterworth put in, they won and fed their threes for a try down the left side. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful and after 12 mins. Lutterworth were in front 5-0.

From the restart, Olney were able to take play into the visitor’s half and were awarded a scrum near the opposition’s 22. Though the Lutterworth pack were making it difficult for Olney to produce quick ball from the set piece, Ollie Caplin at scrum half was able to get the threes moving. The ball was passed to Will Edwards, coming on to the ball at pace, who fed Jordan Letts to break through and touch down under the posts. Stuart Livesey added the extra points for Olney to go just in front 7-5.

Neither side appeared able to settle into any pattern, some promising chances for the visitors were spoiled by some good cover defence on Olney’s part, the return to the side of Charlie Belcher and skipper John Robinson in the back row and Robbie Edwards all playing their parts.

A near certain try from a breakthrough by the visitors backs was just saved by Keenan chasing back to make the vital tackle. However, it was Lutterworth who added the next score. From a line out to Lutterworth, just outside the home 22, they won the ball and set up a maul, Olney were penalised for going offside and the visitor’s were able to gain a line out five metres from Olney’s goal line. They won the ball and went over for a try. The conversion attempt was successful with the assistance of the uprights as Lutterworth regaining the lead 7-12.

Second half action was continually interrupted for scrums and penalties, much to the dismay of the supporters from both sides. Lutterworth managed a break out from their half and this time the move was thwarted by Jordan Letts the last line of defence at full back. Olney were unfortunate to be reduced to fourteen men, when Steve Harrison was shown the yellow card.

The reduction in numbers turned the tide in favour of the opposition and put Olney on the back foot.

After 30 minutes play in the half, Olney were penalised and Lutterworth ran the ball. They were able to force over for a try that was not converted and extended their lead to 7-17.

It became a game of damage limitation with Lutterworth attacking Olney’s right flank. They made a number of attempts to force over, through their forwards, but were repeatedly repelled.

Eventually the advantage of a line out inside Olney’s 22 gave the visitor’s a chance to drive the ball over the goal line. The try was not converted but with time running out, the visitors lead advanced to 7-22, which they were able to hold until the end.