Rugby round-up: Travel sickness for local clubs

editorial image

SOUTH West 1 East league leaders Coney Hill proved too good for Bletchley when they ran out 36-5 winners in Gloucester on Saturday, while Olney suffered a 69-20 defeat in Reading.

An Adam Griffiths second half try was all Bletchley had to show for the long trip west, but there were some positives from their performance – not least that they hang on to their eighth place in the table ahead of Reading Abbey coming to town this Saturday.

Bletchley kicked off in Gloucester and flanker Matt Nobes made a good chase to force a knock on from Coney Hill. But the visitors could not make anything from the advantage as they spilt the ball close to the try line.

Bletchley conceded several penalties in the early exchanges and Coney Hill made the most of their indiscipline. A good kick to touch was followed by a well controlled driving maul from the lineout, keeping the visiting pack working very hard to keep a clean sheet.

Bletchley forced an accidental offside and were awarded a scrum. However, an infringement by Bletchley led to a yellow card and penalty to the home side. With Bletchley a man light, it was only going to be a matter of time until Coney Hill broke the deadlock.

They missed a penalty attempt after 12 minutes, but only a few moments later they forced their way through with Luke Morgan going over, and the conversion attempt from Barnett was successful.

Five minutes later they doubled their lead through Patrick Knight and Barnett converted again to make it 14-0 before a good catch from winger Griffiths set the visitors on their way with a good pass to Will Garrett and Ben Robinson, but they couldn’t make the most of the situation and the chance went begging.

Instead the only further score in the first half came from Coney Hill as Mann touched down and Barnett converted for a third time.

Captain Sid King went over for a fourth Coney Hill try early in the second half, but they then had a player yellow carded for a deliberate knock on and Bletchley began to pile on the pressure.

They eventually got their reward when Griffiths broke through to score, but the conversion attempt was missed and the hosts made sure of their victory with two more unconverted tries late on from King and Morgan.

Olney were also defeated on the road, despite scoring three tries in their 69-20 loss to Reading as they stay bottom.

John Dolemore followed up a penalty conversion with a good try early on, but the visitors found themselves 36-8 down at the break. It got worse in the second half and by the time Mclean got Olney’s second try the Reading score was on 55.

However, after they conceded a couple more scores, the visitors would at least have the final say as a good interception from Leahy set Mclean away for a second try and Dolemore converted.