Ton up for Bletchley as MK slip

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

Bletchley scored 101 points and hit top spot after the latest twist in the Southern Counties North league.

The 101-0 annihilation of Swindon COB, twinned with Milton Keynes’ shock 19-12 defeat to Wallingford, means Bletchley take over at the top of the league, while City slip to third.

It took just two minutes for Bletchley to run in the first of their 15 tries, as George Harman scored under the posts.

Dan Read scored the second two minutes later, before scoring again to make it 21-0 after 11 minutes.

Phil Harman, who had already converted three tries, then scored himself and made it four kicks from four after just 18 minutes.

He also converted further first half tries from John Kirwan and Ty Stokil before getting injured in the build up to Tom Grant’s score, leaving Read to the kicking duties.

Kev Turnbull and Will Garrett both scored before the break, making the scoreline a comprehensive 68-0.

Bletchley showed no signs of letting up in the second half, and took just four minutes to begin scoring again, with Garrett running in his second of the afternoon. Read was proving to be more than a match for Phil Harman’s boot too, adding his fourth conversion.

Despite trailing 75-0, Swindon refused to give in and fought hard against the Bletchley scrum.

But losing two props to injury, their scrums went uncontested. Garrett ran in his third try, though the conversion went wide, before Adam Wilkinson ran in two late scores as Read found his kicking boots once again to complete the rout at 101-0.

Both coaches Stuart van Rooyen and Pete Garrett were delighted with the performance of the players, who had taken on board what they had been doing in training.

The icing on the cake for Bletchley was Milton Keynes’ defeat against Wallingford, who had only one victory to their name going into the match.

With 20 minutes gone the visitors gave away a further penalty and with some back chat, the referee marched a further 10 metres forward. Wallingford took advantage of City’s disarray and took a quick penalty resulting in the first try, taking a 5-0 lead.

With the City’s pack struggling in the scrums the home side was able to cross the City line 10 minutes later. A text book pushover try allowed their number 8 one of his easiest tries of the season. With the successful conversion Wallingford were 12 - 0 up.

With five minutes of the first half Wallingford kicked another penalty, but City finally put a score on the board with a good run down the wing by fullback Ollie Fountain to make the half time score 15 - 5.

The second half looked more promising for City as Ash Target scored under the posts. With the conversion the visitors were now just three points behind.

Wallingford managed a further penalty putting them just six points ahead - City knew that a converted try would give them a win by just a single point.

There was some good play down the centre of the field by City’s Jamie Traveno and with the support of his colleagues City spent the last 10 minutes of the match camped in the Wallingford 22 metres. Lasbrey and Target made good penetrating runs.

Despite this they were unable to gain the converted try that was needed with final passes going astray.

With just a minute to go a lose pass gave Wallingford the opportunity for an interception and a dash down the pitch for an easy score and conversion to complete the match.