Two point victory over Bristol extends streak

editorial image

MK Mustangs got their league campaign back underway last weekend with a long road trip to face Bristol Academy Flyers.

After almost five weeks without a game, they knew it was going to be a tough encounter with players lacking in match sharpness, especially against a side that are always very organised and competitive.

In the early stages it was David Moyo who led the team at both ends, finding it especially easy to carve up and draw the Flyers defence and make the right passes that allowed inside players Santamaria (20 points) and Rickwood (20 points) to convert the easy finish around the basket.

While in previous games Milton Keynes have been able to rely on a chunk of their points coming from three point range, today they were struggling to connect from range, only making two of 12 attempted.

Mustangs were finding it hard to pull away from the home team, but with some nice ball movement and smart offensive execution ,they were able to maintain a slight advantage and took a seven point lead into the half time break.

During the third period MK added to their advantage with some excellent offensive rebounding and hustle plays from youngsters Becks and Alassani that allowed the team to get second, third and even fourth looks at the basket to get the points they needed to extend the lead to thirteen heading into the last quarter.

Flyers knew they’d need a bit of luck to get back into the game, and they capitalised on some sloppy Mustang defending defence and lack of concentration, clawing away at the deficit, turning the game back into a contest.

Flyers were starting to pick up some momentum, make a run and they started to hit some big shots that eventually saw the game tied at 62-62 with three minutes to go.

But after some big plays Mustangs were able to take the 67-65 victory.

Starting 2014 with a victory takes their unbeaten streak to an impressive 11 games, which sees them remain joint top of the table.